Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2006 Scrambler 500 First Ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Change the hub oil first to see if it helps!Drain the old fluid by removing the 3/16" allen bolt in the hubs,refill,turn wheel to 3 or 4 o'clock position and let the excess fluid drain out. If doesn't help,then you're going to have to go in and change the armature plates as this happens a lot. The plates can become magnetized and stick against the strut coil even with the awd switch off and may take having to stop,back up,then forward to release the plate to where it free wheels. Dirty hub oil,wrong type oil,can do this so change it first and see if it helps. Use Polaris Demand Drive or Demand Drive Plus hub fluid only! Be careful at speeds until you're sure the oil change does the job Or you know you need to check into the hubs.If you do tear down,replace plates on both wheels as the other seems to always start giving problems soon afterwards.Plus "IF" mine,I'd replace the hub and strut seals also and be done with it!. Had that happen to to me on partial jobs,then I just started replacing both plates and seals at the same time.Several You Tube videos on this if you don't have a manual,plus there are some other sources that show the hub awd system. OPT

Old 11-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How hard is it on the atv to ride in AWD mode a lot? I've only had it out a couple times and normally only had awd on when i'm about to hit a hill or water

Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

This system doesn't automatically kick on when you push the awd switch! It just allows current to the strut coils to retract the armature plates and it still free wheels until the rear tires slip 1/8 turn and then the hilliard in the hub cambers up and locks the hub in,allowing 4 wheel drive.
It will continue to pull until the rear tires gain full traction,then the front wheel drive kicks out(or is supposed to!) The only problem with leaving constant power to the strut coil(leaving the switch on) is that the plates will magnetize at a quicker rate than normal. That's when you have one wheel that can pull when the awd switch is off! The armature plate wont release from the coil and lock back into the hilliard assy to keep it from locking in the hub! They all magnetize though some may take a few years to do so. Some never have problems if they keep the fluid changed at least every 50 hrs or once a year if not driven much.Plus a lot of people never check for leaking seals or lax on hub fluid changes and can do damage by the time they do notice. Just keep fluid in the hubs until you have the time to check it out to save any possible,hilliard,bearings,or strut/ coil problems. OPT

Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

This scrambler is stock other than a DG bar up front, any recommendations on aftermarket items I should consider? Was looking at some of the undercarriage/ skid plate stuff to protect it but wasn't sure what would be needed

Mainly lookin for items to protect the atv from damage, or to help extend its reliability

Old 11-08-2012, 08:01 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Like mentioned , even in 4wd your ATV is in 2wd until the rear wheel slips, once the rear regains traction the ATV goes back to 2wd mode automatically . You do not want to be in AWD if your fish tailing corners,then the fronts will engage and send you in a loop.

When I,m on a gravel road and need to turn around, I just hit it and spin the rear end around 180 like a dounut rather then a 3 point turn. You do not want to try that in AWD. LOL

Here is a video showing how little of a rear wheel slip it takes to engage the front wheels. Its basically un noticeable.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Congrats on the new Scrammy! I bought one awhile ago (my first) and find it to be a VERY exciting fun ride!

Though with its lack of mud protection I avoid every puddle! LOL!

Just wish it had a little taller tire in the rear for more ground clearance. (chain/disc skid plate bounces off every rock it seems)

Its lighter weight and 500HO engine makes the addrenilin pump!

You Scrammy owners feel like the handlebar is a little high? (just wondering)

Drive in 2wd unless you need 4wd IMO.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

When I first sat on the scrambler I thought it had high handlebars but after riding it a few times I actually prefer it over the sportsman I rode

I ain't skeered of a lil mud!! But I don't hit the big mud holes but I don't avoid the puddles that get in my way

I really enjoy riding this atv, never had a sport quad but this is about as sport as you can ask for!

I'm going to look into some under body armour and might upgrade tires down the road - it's got stock size Swamp Fox tires that do great but will most likely get bigger for more clearance maybe 26 front/ 25 rear

Old 11-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You ever figure out the source of the "spit and sputter for 15 minutes" after you hit the big puddles ? My wife's 05 does that too. I've had the wiring harness apart 2x and can't find the problem.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

From what I have read if water gets down by the spark plug that it spits n sputters til it dries it up