Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

07 Polaris Sportsman 450 Help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Polaris Sportsman 450 Help.

Hello i am new to the forum and looking for some help. I recenly bought a 2007 poaris sportsman 450 used or more like broke in pieces. The guy i bought it from had tore the carbureator apart and could not put it back together. It has since been rebuilt but the four wheeler had been parked for two years. It also has a new battery. I have been able to start it and it idles like a champ. When i go to give it fuel it will rev slightly then die. If i just give it a little fuel and keep the RPMs low it will run for long periods of time at high idle, but when i go to rev it more it dies. Also the battery light will blink sometimes and sometimes not. The high heat light will also come on but then go off. Any ideals.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome! Sounds like time to tear back into the carb,clean the main and pilot jets and replace the needle and seat while you're in there.Sounds like you have at least a stopped up jet,not taking the fuel.Kits are available online and cheap. Ebay is a good source for kits,along with Moose carb kits. Any stale fuel in the tank needs to be removed also.Also if it's been sitting the best thing to do is a complete service(oil,filter,gear case fluid,etc.) then you'll know yourself what's been done. Also the ecm module could be causing problems if the battery can't hold a charge or it's not charging back to the battery at least 14 volts.This module wasn't under the major recall(2005-2006),BUT these modules can go out (main functions are charging and fan operation)Could be why the battery light is flashing and hot light coming on! Look here on you model under "carb" and "electrical" for these items,plus at least an owners manual will help on any service items. After all repairs are made(if needed) keep the battery on a maintainer to prolong it's life and if stored for any length of time use a good fuel stabilizer. http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp
OPT

Old 11-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok great and thanks for the information. The Carb was just rebuilt the other day by a mechanic here and he had to replace the parts that you mentioned. I had drained the gas and flushed the tank before i placed the carb. back on. Before the rebuild it would not run at all but now it does just has that great tendency to shut down at anything over high idle is there anything else that you might know to cause identical problems.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Pull the fuel line from the carb and see if when you crank it over that you have a steady stream of fuel. IF not,then it could be a fuel pump or even a stopped up fuel filter issue.If fuel flow is good make sure the carb slide raises up and down properly with your finger and the slide needle is secure and doesn't move up and down inside the slide. These are the first things I would check IF you're sure the mechanic rebuilt the carb properly. Plus can never over rule these ecm modules on any model as problems they can cause,but still sounds like either fuel starvation,or still a carb problem. OPT

Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok will check them im at work now so ill check it in the morning ill post back if i get it figured out or not. I sincerley appreciate your time and help. Thanks a bunch.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so i have been playing with the four wheeler some more and ran into something that does not make sense to me. I had the four wheeler cranked and at idle had only been running for maybe a minute and the battery light and engine hot light came on. I know the engine was not hot because i could grab the block with my hand. However i gave it throttle with the light on and what do you know it reved up. Then took it for short drive and ran like a scalded dog. So my question now is can the ECM be what is causing alll my problems and does it have the capabillity of shutting the four wheeler down.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Replace the ecm module! The hot light shouldn't be coming on period when cold and the battery light shouldn't be coming on either! The ecm has the capability of burning the atv down to the ground if it's any thing like the Chinese modules under the 2005-2006 recall were! Like I previously posted the ecms main function is to control the fan motor and also charging (probably cause of the battery indicator flashing!),but can do a lot of weird things. Make sure you have the battery load tested also IF it's not charging 14 volts at the battery while running.Ecms can suck the life out of a battery if it's not charging!
Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Item #10. This is about the cheapest place I've found other than Cheap Cycle Parts. This is the recall that affected earlier model Polaris atvs (doesn't include yours,but can still do the same thing!) http://www.usrecallnews.com/2008/02/...scrambler.html
OPT

Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thanks alot OPT. Think that it has been the problem the hole time cause i had not adjusted anything else yet but when the light came on it decided to run. I greatly appreciate your help on this forum the information you posted has been of great help to me and i now know the problem. Part ordered and i think i can call it fixed for now. Thanks again!!!

Old 11-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

by any chance did they change or drain the antifreeze out of it as an air bubble could cause the light to come fast? these are prone to it w/ the air bubbles. just athought.