Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

96 Polaris Sport 400 Transmission stuck in Low ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Polaris Sport 400 Transmission stuck in Low ?

Many years reading posts on this forumn,Thanks! this is my first post

Was riding my sport 400 2X2 and it started having trouble "up-shifting" like it was stuck in first gear, with a little throttle action I could coax it to finally shift up. Then it refused to upshift no matter what, I replaced the belt. no change.

I read other posts but mostly refer to vehicles that have Hi/Lo selectors and issues with the linkage.

Any ideas of where to start looking for the trouble ?

Old 12-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome! Sounds like the rear clutch ramp buttons are worn down. If it won't rev up or seems to be stuck in a "low gear mode" even under throttle then this is usually what happens. The rear clutch just slides off,doesn't need a puller. The helix on the rear of the clutch has to be pressed down a little to be able to remove the snap ring and washer.When you do this and lift up on the helix, the clutch sheaths will spin loose! Don't be alarmed! Look at the setting on the spring bottom,will be in hole 2 or 1,plus remember which hole of the helix the top of the spring is in(usually 2nd position) Three ramp buttons will be exposed on the bottom of the clutch. Takes a T20 torx screw driver to loosen these up(IF they aren't snapped off!) replace the three ramp buttons,install the spring in the top of the helix,line the splines up on the clutch shaft with the helix,slide the helix down,install bottom of spring in the correct hole.Push the helix down a little and while holding it and the the top sheath,turn the bottom sheath 1/3 rd turn counter clockwise. HOLD both sheaths,helping hands come in handy!(helix should stay in place)Use a dead blow or regular hammer and seat the helix down,then replace the washer and circlip. When you let loose the clutch will "snap" back". Then you can reinstall it and the belt.Look here on your model under"driven clutch" and will show the components. Browse If you don't feel like doing this then you can just take the rear clutch into a good dealer and they should have the ramp buttons in stock and labor shouldn't be more than 1/2 hr. Plus not a bad idea to check for any wear on the front "drive clutch buttons". You need a clutch puller and a spider tool to separate the clutch to replace these. OPT

Old 12-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply, I will pop the side cover off and take a look

Old 12-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Eflex
Thanks for the reply, I will pop the side cover off and take a look
Hold the outer part of the rear clutch and turn the inner clutch sheath while it's still mounted. If you hear or feel a grinding noise,then it's ground down ramp buttons. Hopefully the helix, spring,and inner clutch half itself aren't damaged. OPT

Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

The Secondary Clutch Buttons were the problem, Thanks for your guidance and detailed instructions!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Glad it was something simple and that you posted the results for others that might have the same problem! OPT