Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 700 Drive shaft help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 700 Drive shaft help!

The front drive shaft that enters into the transmission spins freely. Not sure if it is supposed to do that. I have not started disassembling it, but looks like either the splines on the drive shaft are worn or the shaft that comes out of the front of the transmission is worn. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

C-130 Crew Chief

Old 02-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The prop shaft rear splines that goes into the transmission usually strip out because most people forget or don't notice the grease fitting at the rear. The transmission splines are a lot harder than the prop shaft splines and usually aren't the problem.Item#7 is the grease fitting at the rear of the shaft. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 02-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT! I will definitely let you know once i get it apart. I hope it is the prop shaft instead of the transmission splines. I would hate to have to replace that shaft.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just pulled the prop shaft out and the noticed the teeth on the front output shaft on the transmission side along with the prop shaft splines are severely worn down. How hard is it to replace the front output shaft on the transmission? I think it has been like this for quite some time. I actually bought the ATV used, and am slowly learning my lesson on buying a used ATV, but am enjoying the challenge of getting it right.

Thanks,
C-130 Crew Chief

Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I replaced dozens of prop shafts over the years and these softer spines would give out way before the hardened splines on the tranny output shaft would(not saying it can't happen) but if the splines are worn down the transmission has to be split. Item #53 Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Is thIs task toouch for the average mechanic? Are their any special tools I may need?
Thanks OPT!

Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do I need any special tools to replace the front shaft on the transmission of a 07 polaris 700 ? Also, is this taks too much for the average mechanic?
Thanks,
C-130 Crew Chief

Old 02-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the trans out put spline is stripped(really must have taken a beating if not salvageable) then it's possible just to pull the output shaft cover only(item 49) and replace the shaft,but I still believer you need to pull the transmission out or back far enough to do this.It's been awhile,can't remember how much room you have to work with in the frame.No special tools are needed,BUT you have a shim and thrust button that has to be greased up to stick to the inside of the cover when you put it back together. Item #46 and 47.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah I think what happened was the prop shaft actually worn itself out from not greasing it and the atv was run like this for quite some time. Overtime, it eventually woret the splines on the front output shaft on the transmission. Hopefully this weekend I will get a chance to pull it out.

Thanks OPT!

Old 03-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2007 Polaris 700 Crankcase Sealant

Just wondering if I need to use the Crankcase sealant (PN 2871557) when installing the crankcase cover or is there something better I can pickup at a parts store.
I just replaced the worn output shaft and am reassembling the transmission. The hardest part of the whole task was actually removing the transmission out of the ATV.

Quick Reply: Polaris 700 Drive shaft help!