Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Polaris Scrambler 400 4x4 Wiring Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Polaris Scrambler 400 4x4 Wiring Diagram

Hello, does anyone have or know where I can get a wiring diagram for a 2002 Polaris Scrambler 400 4x4? I am having some awd problems and think a wiring diagram would really help.

Thanks!!!

Old 05-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

See if this link still works. Index of /ORV Manuals/Polaris/Scrambler

Old 05-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT, Thanks for the link, it had diagrams for a 2001 50cc and 90cc and a 2009 500cc. I have read many of your posts and found them to be very helpful. Lets see if you can help me.

I have a 2002 scrambler 400 4x4.

When running if you put the quad in reverse it dies instantly. If you hold the reverse over ride button in then shift into reverse it works perfectly. I feel the switch is working properly because the headlights work, off,on,off switch works and when you push the over ride button it lights up the "R" on the dashboard. Do you think it could be the rev box behind the oil tank? My polaris experience is limited so Im not sure what symptoms it would dispaly if this box went bad.

I also notice my AWD is acting really wacky. Im pretty sure the rev box is wired into the AWD somehow too. I can get the AWD to work if I put the trans in forward, put the AWD switch on then start the quad, the AWD light illuminates and everything works perfectly. If I shift into neutral or turn the AWD switch off while riding the AWD light goes off and it will not work again until I shut the quad off and go through the same steps.

Seems odd but these are the only kinds of problems I seem to have, the ones no one has ever heard of before.

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 05-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Pull the black wire from the reverse limiter. Should solve the dying problem,plus you'll have full power in reverse without having to push the over ride button..This was a common problem. The awd light only lights up while in gear,plus this may or may not be of help on the awd.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT!!!! You are a life saver! I have spent 4 hours with an ohm meter and I am 100% convinced I have a grounding issue with my AWD and thats why it doesnt work.

Before I go cutting into my wiring system I just want to clarify with you what I need to do.

On the 2 pin connectors for the strut coils there is thick brown wires on one side and thin little brown wires on the other side. The video said to splice 4 brown wires together and run them to ground. Which exact 4 wires need spliced and hooked to ground?

Old 05-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You're just splicing all the brown wires together and adding one separate wire from these to a good ground position.The coil mounting bracket,frame,etc. Now this video is for a Sportsman 500 ,but the awd system is basically the same. Another thing some have done is from the speedo connector (on atvs that have speedos) is to jump the Brown/White wire to the Brown on this connector OR you can trace the two wires(Brown and Brown/White coming from the awd push switch itself, jumper across them and see if this solves the problem.It's mainly a grounding problem and you can attack it at several different places depending on your model.If one jumpered section doesn't work,just remove the jumper wire and tape up the wires where you've spliced,then move on to another.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Grounding the brown wires in the Strut Coil harness worked like a charm! Now that we know I lost a ground somewhere for sure what do you think caused the problem? I like to fix things the right way if I can. Do you think the Rev Box is the root of the problems? Im not sure where the ground is supposed to come from in the AWD system.

Trending Topics

Old 05-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I wouldn't worry about trying to find one ground wire somewhere in the harness that may have been the cause!There are so many brown wires that could just be broken internally and not able to be found unless you trace each wire with an ohm meter. It's not worth the effort! You've got awd now and that's what matters! I'd leave the rev limiter black wire unplugged as they all fail eventually.All you're doing is defeating this module and will have full power in reverse along with the awd and not have to push the stupid over ride button.Same thing most car mechanics will do also if they find a ground problem. They will run a new ground wire to solve the problem. Original ground problem could have been from the rev limiter,the awd switch wiring,gear position switch wiring leading to the awd switch,plastic wiring connector problem,etc.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Good advice as always!!! I'll unplug the black wire from the rev box tonight and that should solve my last problem, at least for now. Thanks so much for the advice and video, I knew I lost a ground but didnt know where to pick up a new one.

Thanks again for all if your help!