Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Polaris 700 Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Polaris 700 Air Filter

Can someone help me out here.

According to the owners manual no oil is required on the prefilter.

MAINTENANCE AND LUBRICATION
Filter Systems Cleaning the Main Filter
NOTE: It is advisable to replace the filter when it is dirty. However, in an emergency it is permissible to clean the main filter if you observe the following practices.
1. Never immerse the filter in water since dirt can be transferred to the clean air side of the filter.
2. If compressed air is used never exceed a pressure of 40 PSI. Always use a dispersion type nozzle to prevent filter damage and clean from the inside to the outside.
NOTE: Replace the air filter every 50 hours, and possibly more often in very dirty conditions.
Air Filter Service - 4 Cycle
1. Removeseat.
2. Release clips and remove
cover.
3. Loosen clamp and remove
filter
4. Remove fabric type
pre-filter (1) from main filter (2). Wash pre-filter in soapy water and dry it.
5. Reinstall pre-filter over main filter. Replace main filter as required.
6. Reinstall filter into air box and tighten clamp. Do not over tighten clamp or filter damage may occur.

The Service Manual States....

Cleaning:
5. Slip the pre-filter element off of main element. Clean the pre filter with high flash point solvent, followed by hot soapy water.
6. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
7. Inspect element for tears or damage.
8. Apply foam filter oil or clean engine oil and squeeze until excess oil is removed.
9. Inspect main filter and replace if necessary. If the filter has been soaked with fuel or oil it must be replaced.

So what is it on the pre filter, oil or no oil????? Thanks guys!

Old 05-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Some of the older model pre filters were foam,then they went to the mesh type,but I never oiled them,just washed them in soapy water and rinse and reused. On the mesh type pre filters I just used soapy water first,then if still dirty and stained I used good old Wally World cheap brake or electric parts spray cleaner. It will make one clean and white again and remove any residue dirt and stains. NO oil on the mesh prefilter!! Manuals sometimes tend to overlap years and cleaning methods. As far as the paper air filter,yes you can blow these out and reuse them if not over dirty. If in doubt replace it. Cheap insurance for a high dollar machine.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome thanks! Yea the one that came on the bike from previous owner and new one i purchased were the mesh and to me it didnt make sense to put the oil on it. You confirmed what I thought. Plan to give the old one a good wash and keep it around. Thank you as always for fast replies and spot on insight!