Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris xplorer

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Under the carb area on the case is a black or orange **** that you can use a big flat bladed screw driver to get out. It's the dip stick for the counter balancer cavity that holds 75cc's of 30 wt oil that lubricates the counter balancer gear,crank shaft gear,water pump bearing and the oil pump worm drive gear. If it's milky colored on the dipstick that mean the water pump seals have leaked coolant into this cavity. You need this manual more than I do. Index of /ORV Manuals/Polaris/1996-1998 - All Models

Old 07-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't download PDF files on my phone im gonna order a manual for it as soon as I get my check along with a new another xplorer for parts. I checked the pump an it still works. The hose that comes out of the jug sprays also but it just looks like it slipped down a lil

Old 07-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hose out of the jug sprays? Do you mean the coolant bottle or the small hose that goes down the right side of the "jug" or cylinder to the engine case. If this is the hose,then the water pump seals could be leaking coolant into the counter balancer cavity and flowing out of the c/b vent hose?

Old 07-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Trailblazer

Yes the one on the cylinder but it just looks like it slipped off. But if it's the seals are they just o rings? What do they look like an how hard are they to change? Any other info about these would b helpful cause probly just replace them anyway just to cover that area when i make my shopping list

Old 07-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Still shouldn't be anything spraying out of it. It only holds 75 ccs (about 2 ounces) of oil. w/p has 2 seals and a bearing. Not unusual to have coolant bypass seals into the c/b cavity and flow out.

Attached Thumbnails polaris xplorer-4963d004.jpg  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

Ya that's it the number 3 hose is spraying out the top but it just looks like it slipped off a lil

Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

That's the main coolant supply hose from the water pump. Check and see if its just a clamp loose or if it's split and you need a new hose. Your local dealer should have one or you can match this diameter hose up at most auto stores.Then bleed the head again!

Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Trailblazer

That's what I did with the other hoses I bought a long hose an cut the prices I need if it's split I should have enough left. But it really looked like it slipped but will find out for sure fri gonna take it apart again

Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

Ok got a lil time to check it out 2nite it seems pump quit I disconnected the out hose off the radiator an started the wheeler no fluid got pumped out so blew through the hose an got fluid blowing out. Does this mean new pump? If so how do I replace it an how much is it? Could I maybe fix it?

Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Too much to list to do on a water pump overhaul and my fingers can't take all the typing!! There are a couple critical stages especially on installing the w/p seals and bearing and this is where the manual shows you! Either down load the pdf manual link I gave you OR get a hard copy on Ebay.Plus it includes other things such as the counter balancer shaft check to make sure the new seals wont leak!.

Quick Reply: polaris xplorer