Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman will not start, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman will not start, please help!

I have an 08 Sportsman 700 X2 with starting issues. When the problem first started, I would turn the key and I could hear the fuel pump kick in, the guages would come to life, but when you turn the key to start, nothing would happen. If I stood up and shook the machine from side to side, it would sometimes start. I checked all battery connections and solenoid connections and verified they were tight. Now they machine will not start at all, not even after shaking it. If I turn the key to on, I can arc the solenoid and it will start right up. I unplugged the solenoid, hooked a meter up to the cable running back to the wiring harness, and when I turned the key there was no voltage present. Can anyone tell me what to check next? Is it possible the ignition is toast? Can I test at the ignition for voltage when the key is turned? Thank you in advance for the help.

Mike

Old 07-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like an intermittent short or ground problem. I'd check the main ground area on the frame along with the fuse block under the front panel. Fuse block can be taken off and check that all wiring is ok. Plus don't over look the obvious. A weak/shorted cell in the battery could be the culprit. Just have the battery load tested if you can't find any wiring short or ground problem. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Plus if you don't have a service manual here's one for 5 bucks. Includes the wiring schematic and electrical tests. http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2008-Po...ce-Manual.html

Old 07-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the information and for the link to the manual. Can't go wrong for only $4.95. I will look it over and see what I can find.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

I had the 2007 800 X2 and had same problem you are identifying. My short was in the group of wires that run up to the solenoid itself. I could move that harness around and the ATV would start up. I would start there since you said you used to shake the ATV to start it. If nothing, follow up OPT's guidelines

Old 07-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by uncertifiedmechanic
I had the 2007 800 X2 and had same problem you are identifying. My short was in the group of wires that run up to the solenoid itself. I could move that harness around and the ATV would start up. I would start there since you said you used to shake the ATV to start it. If nothing, follow up OPT's guidelines
Thank you for the advice!

Old 07-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I wiggled all the wires in that general location while turning the ignition, no go. Is it possible a relay is bad? Is there a way to test them?

Old 07-16-2013, 04:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The ignition switch itself provides power to the solenoid.With ignition on and using a test light or ohm meter see if power wire to the starter solenoid(relay) has voltage. If not then you could have a short in the ignition switch wiring under the pod,or the switch itself could be shorted out(not uncommon for this to happen) Check that you have power to either a Red or Red/Black wire to the ignition switch. If you do,then you could have a short on the wiring going to the solenoid.If you show voltage at the solenoid wire,then I would suspect a faulty solenoid.Both the ignition switch and solenoid have updated part numbers and they usually do this for a reason,problems with the old ones.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...007&fveh=11317

Old 07-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I found the correct wire with help from the service manual that you told me to purchase. It was indeed a red/white wire. With my meter set to 20VDC and the black on a ground and the red probe on the red/white when I turned the key the meter read 0.01 VDC. I would suspect that I should have got at least 12VDC. With all of that, would you say I have a bad ignition switch?

Mike

Old 07-17-2013, 01:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Red/white wire should have 12 volts after the ignition switch is turned on. Could be a bad switch,but try jumping a red(hot) wire to the Red/white and see if the solenoid kicks in. If it does then I'd replace the ignition switch.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

There were two wires at the ignition switch with 12VDC, a red/black on and a yellow one. I started with the red/black wire and when I turned the key on and jumped the wire to the red/white I blew the main 20amp fuse. I tried the yellow wire and the same thing happened. I checked continuity from the harness at the solenoid to the ignition switch, it was good.

Quick Reply: Sportsman will not start, please help!