Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 2005 twn Just Purchased..should i change Fluids 42 Run Hrs?

Old 10-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for your kind advice.

It is Great knowing that there is a support network out there.

I did drop it off to the dealer and anticipate a $250 bill. But they assured me that they would change all of the fluids and check ALL the other vitals. I feel this will give me peace of mind knowing that an expert evaluated it.

I will have it back tomorrow or Thursday and we are off to the hunting lodge on Friday!!!

I will get the manual (Thank you very much for the link) and do this with my son next time.

Thank you ALL!!!!!

Mike

Old 10-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Big600twin
Now I'm thinking I misread the post...It looks like all motorcycle filters are not recommended(no brands listed) but the next list IS the recommended list...See how things get messed up on the web.....Sorry
That's the original posters opinion only! Opinions are like as...err noses: everyone has one! We even sold a lot of K&N,Hiflow and I've seen Purolator,Wix and Fram that people used and were happy with. Main thing in my opinion is to change oil and filter on a regular basis no matter what you use.Plus the guy left out the K&N 303 which we stocked in place of the 3084963 for the 500. At least that's what the K&N substitution called for..
Here's the original long post he made about how many filters are standardized to fit different motorcycles,atvs,etc..http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55123115,d.aWc

Old 10-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dear Old Polaris Tech,

I am looking at the specifications for the Polaris 700 Sportsman and it states "Gross Vehicle Weight" 1240 lbs. It also states "Dry Weight" 765 lbs.

Could you tell me what is the difference between the two?

I goggles the definitions and still don't understand. (I appreciate your patience)

Thanks

mike

Old 10-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Dry weight is the weight of the machine with no fluids.You gotta figure 3 quarts of coolant,2 quarts of oil and filter, what oil is in the transmission and differentials,little over four gallons of gas (about 32 pounds)and maximum weight of driver and cargo is the supposed maximum gross vehicle weight or as some call it unladen weight and curb weight.

The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer[1] including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.[2] The term is used for motor vehicles and trains.

The weight of a vehicle is influenced by passengers, cargo, even fuel level, so a number of terms are used to express the weight of a vehicle in a designated state. Gross combined weight rating refers to the total mass of a vehicle, including all trailers. GVWR and GCWR both describe a vehicle that is in operation and are used to specify weight limitations and restrictions. Curb weight describes a vehicle which is "parked at the curb" and excludes the weight of any occupants or cargo. Dry weight further excludes the weight of all consumables, such as fuel and oils. Gross trailer weight rating specifies the maximum weight of a trailer and the gross axle weight rating specifies the maximum weight on any particular axle.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

So the approx. weight for the Polaris is 1230 lbs. less my 210 pounds would be 1040 lbs?

trying to see what weight is on my trailer.

Thanks

Mike

Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This general maximum figure of GVW (1240 pounds) includes cargo,accessories,etc,you'd be carrying,but you get the picture on determining actual towing weight of the machine for the trailer.