Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Polaris 500ho front strut trubs????

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by manxman
Hey late doing this . I recieved the front shock cartridges thanks for the help.Can this job be done with tie downs to crush the springs and leaving the strut attached to the machine.How does the cartridges come out ? I was having a look and I think the 2 nuts on the back of the strut have to be loose to pull the cartridge out.The cartridge was siezed but freed up those - 35C temps are hard on everything . I have the parts so I want to do the job.Its always good to ask some question before I start.
You can do it with tie downs if you wish,but I just used a large pair of vice grips(cushioned with a piece of rubber or cloth to protect the shaft) and clamped down on the strut shaft. Just ramp up the vice grips around the spring to easily take off the spring retainer nut and retainer. Spring just slides off after you remove the vice grips.Loosen the two strut bolts,use a screw driver if necessary in the strut slot to pry open a tad,then easily pull the cartridge out. Install the new one,install a new(or old spring), clamp on the vice grips at the top of the cartridge shaft,turn the pliers and the spring will collapse enough to install the retainer plate then the nut. Then just install the pivot ball and stick it back up into the frame. Doing this almost every day you eventually find little tricks that make life easier.Plus with air tools every job's easier.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:06 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you get the springs too? The struts have zero to do with ride height. Likely they are toast too, but they wouldn't cause a leaning problem unless one is seized