Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

3 chain 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2001, 12:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that currently the scrams have Shaft on front but what was the first year they were changed to shafts on the scramblers? The explorers? Also how reliable is the 3 chain system.

Old 04-03-2001, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

Once upon a time I had a (three chain 6 sprocket) 4WD 1995 Polaris Sportsman 400…During the course of my ownership I replaced the following:

One front tire - slashed on an underwater root

Battery - they all go sooner or later

One front drive sprocket and one front chain-Towed a Mazda Pickup out of sugar sand and broke the teeth off of the sprocket and damaged the chain

Two-countershaft chains- Mudding is hard on chains

One countershaft sprocket-worn out by the worn chains

One rear drive sprocket- 3500 miles of swamp riding

Three rear chains- 3500 miles of mudding. One rear driveshaft bushing- Gee. I didn't know they had a grease fitting there.

One headlight-tree branch

One throttle safety switch- just wore out

One Strut- I like to drive fast

Two hub seals- I didn't know it wasn't a submarine

One carburetor rebuild- engine vibration

One thermostat - bad unit from the factory the replacement unit was also bad.

One fan blade - poor design

One rear spring - wanted the softer ride of the Xplorer

One rear wheel - because I did not torque the lug nuts properly

Oil injector housing and cables - just cleaned not replaced

One drive belt - didn't have too but I felt safer

Brake pads - More than I care to admit

Hand grips - OEM grips too hard

Engine problems none
Transmission problems none
Counter-balancer none
Clutch problems none
Axle problems -none

The upside? Yes there is one!

Lighter weight than a shaft drive, resulting in a better ride. Great handling, excellent acceleration, no oil changes, instant starting in cold weather, carburetor easy to access for draining water or jetting changes

Enough power to "spank" the average 500 and hang with the H.O.s.

Remember: Your results will vary.

Old 04-03-2001, 04:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just one more thing to add - chains get more power to the ground. You don't lose as much power going through all of those universal joints. As for the reliability, I think that if you keep them maintained and well looked after then they will do everything you want them to. Obviously you're going to have to do more maintenance on them - but I guess that's the price we have to pay for getting more power and less weight One of the most important things I can think of about chains is to keep them adjusted properly.

Old 04-03-2001, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

98 was the last year for 3 chains on the Xplorer,probley the same for the Scram.
In the 1300 miles that I have but on my 98 Ive only had to adjust the front and center chain one time. Ive adjusted the rear several times.
I havent had any trouble with mine.

Andy

Old 04-03-2001, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 99 Xplorer, the first year for the 1 chain 4x4. I think, but am not sure, the Scramblers got it one year sooner.
As for reliability, I have a friend with a 425Magnum 3 chain machine, and I can sum it up this way. Reliable - yes, as long as you do the maintanence. I think they may be as reliable as a shaft if properly cared for, meaning lubed, inspected, and any worn parts replaced regularly. If you do this, I think it will get you home if anything will.
That said, they are a pain maintanence wise. The middle chain, in particular is hard to get at, as is the center countershaft, and tightening the middle chain makes the front chain loose. On the bright side, they aren't strained much due to the nature of the Polaris 4wd and last quite a while.

Old 04-03-2001, 10:26 PM
Range Rover

Psychorider

I have a 96 4x4 400 Scrambler with the 3 chain set up. I have had it from new, and have never seen a reason to replace it. in 5 years I have replaced all the chains only once (at different times) and the sprockets once when I was replacing the chain. The rear is the first to go, and I am looking at a new chain later this year, that will include the sprockets. I have never broken a chain, had one jump of the sprocket or had any problems with them at all. They take a little time to clean them properly, but it is no problem - jack the rear of the bike up and start it in gear and all the chains turn (don't have it in 4x4) making it very easy to clean.

The Scramblers were the first to have the concentric drive with the shaft front for 98 models, the the rest of the 4x4's changed for the 99 models.

Old 04-04-2001, 10:14 AM
Trailblazer

Always carry a non 0-ring 520 masterlink with you in your tool kit. It may save the day for you.

The reason I say non O-ring is because the O-ring masterlink must be compressed to install and this is difficult under the average trail conditions.

P.S. Don't forget the 5/8 inch wrenches and the can of chain wax while riding. You may need to prop it up on a stump and adjust the rear chain if it starts to clack and the floorboards vibrate a little.

Old 04-04-2001, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, the 98 Scrambler had the best of everything... It got the concentric drive, the H.O. 500 counterbalanced engine, shaft driven front end, I think it got a little more ground clearance, and it had the "stand out anywhere" PURPLE plastic.
Problem is, Polaris made so many changes to the 98 model bike, they forgot to build enough of them... If you own a 98, you own a rarity.. Hold on to it...

Old 04-04-2001, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

psycho

I would also echo what most are telling you. The three chains provide good performance, but are a pain to maintain. I have only adjusted the middle and front chain once, but you have to pull the middle chain guard off just to clean and lube it.

Old 04-06-2001, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

I have the three chain drive on my '96 Scrambler.
The biggest problem that I had was that the middle bearing carrier went out and broke in half. This will stop you in a heartbeat. What happended was the bearings went out and ripped up the housing. I do grease it, but sand had gotten inside from leaky seals. Trashes it very fast.

The system works well. Just remember to grease the three concentics-front, middle, and rear. Also, keep the chains tight but not too tight.

To lube the chains, I jack up the back end so the chains will all turn but not go anywhere in 2WD. Have someone run the throttle while you go around and lube the three chains. Seems to work good.

'96 Scrambler w/RCR Stage 1 kit, K&N filter, and Boyesen power Reeds.