Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

thumb throttle on scambler 500

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-1999, 12:03 PM
efr
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 Scrambler 500 and have a question about the thumb throttle.
Most of the time the Scrambler runs great
except this last week. When leting off of
the thumb throttle it stalls.

Now I noticed a little play in the throttle and if I push it in just alittle "does not even start to pull on the cable" it idles fine. But if I let go it stalls.

My qestion is has anyone taken apart the thumb throttle? Is there some kind of micro switch that might be getting stuck that is causeing the stalling?

Thanks for any info

Eric

Old 09-10-1999, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 99 scrambler 500 and am not sure if it's the same but there is a safty switch in the throttle housing that kills the motor if the butterfly on the carb or the cable gets stuck in the open position. You might need to adjust the cable or perhaps the cable is getting restricted somehow. If the housing on the 2000 scrambler is the same just pop of the cover and take a look. You should be able to see the switch. The switch should remain the same in all throttle positions. If the switch is open at the idle position it should be open at the full throttle position and open when you let off the throttle. I'm not sure if the switch is supposed to be open or closed normally.

Chris Picciotto
99 Scrambler 500

Old 09-10-1999, 01:57 PM
Trailblazer

This same thing just happened to me. It is surely the ETC adjustment. Here's how to fix it...

Above the throttle on the HB's, take the cover off the ETC box. Some just pop off and others screw off. You can now see the two contacts causing the problem. When the throttle is let off of completely, the two contacts touch (throttle play) causing the engine to die. (The reason for this ETC setup is if the throttle cable is frozen, you can let off the throttle and the engine will die, a great safety feature.)

To adjust it, follow the throttle cable from the ETC box and look for the lump in the cable. Then slide the rubber boot off of the adjustment assembly, loosen the locking nut and adjust to take the extra slack out of the cable. You should be able to figure it out from here. Good luck and post results. Happy trails...

WillieB - 99 Scrambler 500 4x4 (for sale) (baby on the way, oops!) 4 months old, $4990 with over $800 in options, e-mail for inquires... ke4iaj@gate.net

[This message has been edited by Willie B (edited 09-10-1999).]