Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Phoenix 200 No start

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix 200 No start

Picked up a 2005 Phoenix for my boys, seller stated it sat for 2 years and then wouldnt start. I have drained the old fuel from tank and carb, installed a new battery and plug and she isnt even thinking of starting. I have even tried some starting fluid and still no sign of firing. I have checked for spark and it has spark. My question is before I look into low compression is, are there any electronic items that would cause a no start? My basic knowledge of a motor says I got fuel (ether) and I got spark so I guess I dont have compression.....Or possibly a weak spark. I did place my finger over the plug hole and turned her over and def have piston movement and compression, just not sure how much until I can get the proper adapter to fit my gauge.

Sure hope thats not the case. I did jump the wires at the throttle as a precaution as I have read that they have causes no start issues. Again, not a glimmer of firing up..........

Any assistance would sure be appreciated.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Ether may not always help. Plus sitting up two years the carb has to be a mess. Valve clearance I believe is .003 intake and exhaust,BUT rather than believe me the best 5 bucks you can spend is on a good pdf manual.Will show clearances,trouble shooting guides,carb repairs,along with regular maintenance once you get it running.2006 Polaris Phoenix 200 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 11-15-2014, 04:54 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the advice and pdf link. I just ordered it. I was looking to get a manual this weekend but hadn't had the time to search for one. 1st things 1st, I think pulling the carb and giving it a thorugh cleaning is on order. I will tell you when I was cranking her over with the plug removed I was getting a whif of real old gas/varnish smell......

I bought the bike for a steal or so I thought ($350). Original owner said it's a real low hr machine but I tend to not put much weight in what sellers will tell you. I have never owned a Polaris, always been a Yamaha and Kawaski guy but those brands really dont have anything in the Phoenix category thats full auto. I did a lot of reading about the quirks associated w the phoenix line up but its what I could afford.
Hopefully it will be something trivial and I can get my boys out riding.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:59 AM
Trailblazer

Pulled the carb and its surely a mess. Whatever fuel was in the bowl at some pt dried and left crust throughout. The main throttle needle was froze, I managed to free it up and am now soaking the whole carb in some fresh gas and will go out in a lil while and begin cleaning it up.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Rather than clean one,that doesn't often solve problems,especially with the needle and seat,best to install a carb kit and eliminate the carb as a problem.http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2009-POLARIS-PHOENIX-200-CARB-CARBURETOR-REPAIR-KIT-MADE-IN-JAPAN-03-411-/360494264312?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ef21eff8&vxp=mtr

Old 11-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Rather than clean one,that doesn't often solve problems,especially with the needle and seat,best to install a carb kit and eliminate the carb as a problem.2005 2009 Polaris Phoenix 200 Carb Carburetor Repair Kit Made in Japan 03 411 | eBay
Agreed, I ordered one up. mean time I threw the cleaned carb back in with fresh fuel and still not an incling of this thing sounding like she will fire up. Headed over to the parts store and bought a new compression gauge with necessary fittings and all I am getting is 60psi with throttle open

Im thinking I got more than carb troubles
Any ideas before I yank this motor?

Old 11-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check the valve clearance. Could be a valve too tight. If compression is still low after checking/adjusting valves,then best to do a leak down test. If intake valve is leaking you can hear air through the carb,exhaust valve leaking you can hear air through the exhaust. Possible to hear air from both areas. If rings are worn enough you can hear air through the crank case vent. Hope fully just a tight valve lowering compression.If adjusting valves doesn't help and you have to tear it down,best to just go ahead and lap the valves,check the piston to cylinder clearance. Sometime you can get by with just a light cylinder hone and new std rings on some 4 strokes.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks OPT, gonna try adj the valves at some pt this week.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Forgot that it's been sitting two years also. Put a couple table spoons full of oil in the cylinder,let it work it's way around a little, crank it over a few times then recheck compression.Possible the cylinder walls are pretty dry and may give a more accurate compression reading.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Trailblazer

Tried what you said with no success

I pulled the motor this week and found some disturbing things. The 2 top rings were froze to the piston and the piston/cylinder are scored. I guess a top end rebuild is in order

My question is do I pay to resleeve or get a new cylinder? Any idea what a resleeve would cost?

Name:  20141122_154204_zpsugvpfcme.jpg
Views: 2750
Size:  61.9 KB

Quick Reply: Phoenix 200 No start