Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

EXT questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015 | 01:10 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default EXT questions

I am looking into a quad to use around my property and plow my drive with (550 ft). I was in a local dealer today and saw the EXT's. The salesman told me they plow fine and the smaller engine has more of an impact on top in speed then it does low end performance. He also told me that the next model of EXT is going to have a 450 CI engine replacing the current smaller size. I asked him about the price and he said the price was going to remain the same.

I have never owned a quad and had been looking at a used 500/570. However it seems locally people are asking a lot more for a used 500 or 570 then what I could get a brand new EXT. I really have no interest in going out mudding, hill climbing, etc. just more light work and some deer hunting. I live in Indiana so most of the times the snows we get are 8 inches or less, with the occasional really deep snow, maybe every couple years or so. Any thoughts on the EXT for light use?

Old 11-06-2015 | 06:11 PM
|
Trailblazer

I have been doing some research. My dealership has the left over ETX with the 325 for 4599. The new models come with a 450 and the MSRP is 5999. However according to Polaris website the 325 is 30 HP and the 450 is 31 HP. To me it seems more bang for the buck to get a left over 325 for 1500 less. Am I missing something?

Old 11-06-2015 | 07:06 PM
Moto Psycho

If they got rid of the smaller engine it makes me wonder why. I also question if it revs really high to get that much power from such a small engine.

Old 11-06-2015 | 08:02 PM
|
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
If they got rid of the smaller engine it makes me wonder why. I also question if it revs really high to get that much power from such a small engine.
I am new to quads and I didn't know the dealer so I take what they say with a grain of salt. He said the 325 made good HP but they were having sales problems strictly because of the size. It make sense because if you look around on their web sites they do not show the size on that model, only the HP. I am not sure what the small size Rancher is but he said the 325 out performs it in all tests. I could see them making a 400 or 450 even if it performs the same way as the 325. I'm saving money so more then likely next fall when the new models role out I might catch a 2015 or if I have the cash by then I might get a used 570.

Old 11-07-2015 | 04:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The EXT might surprise you with what it will do. I'm sure it is geared pretty low to make the best use of the smaller displacement engine. You may not plan on using your quad for fun but why not? Might as well do some trail riding too. Polaris used to make the Magnum 330 that made even less power but had the same displacement and people seemed to love them. With available low range, the EXT should be more than sufficient to get the job done. The older Sportsman 500 models are pretty reasonable in price, could easily find a really nice one for under 3 grand. You could buy something like a Yamaha Kodiak 450(later called Grizzly 450)used pretty reasonable as well and it would be a good choice for light work and plowing snow also. A Suzuki Eiger 400 would be another to consider that would be a good workhorse for a reasonable price. I'm a bit partial to Yamaha myself but I like to keep an open mind about all brands when looking for a used machine. Before I bought my current Grizzly 660, I also considered many other options but the Grizzly offered the best bang for the buck and that's the main reason I went with it.

Old 11-07-2015 | 07:50 AM
|
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by greg74
The EXT might surprise you with what it will do. I'm sure it is geared pretty low to make the best use of the smaller displacement engine. You may not plan on using your quad for fun but why not? Might as well do some trail riding too. Polaris used to make the Magnum 330 that made even less power but had the same displacement and people seemed to love them. With available low range, the EXT should be more than sufficient to get the job done. The older Sportsman 500 models are pretty reasonable in price, could easily find a really nice one for under 3 grand. You could buy something like a Yamaha Kodiak 450(later called Grizzly 450)used pretty reasonable as well and it would be a good choice for light work and plowing snow also. A Suzuki Eiger 400 would be another to consider that would be a good workhorse for a reasonable price. I'm a bit partial to Yamaha myself but I like to keep an open mind about all brands when looking for a used machine. Before I bought my current Grizzly 660, I also considered many other options but the Grizzly offered the best bang for the buck and that's the main reason I went with it.
Thanks for the info. Indiana has no trail systems and there aren't many good places to go ride. Shirt of finding some private property. There is one place an hour or so away but it is one of the few places in the state the public can go ride. So every person around with a dirt bike, jeep, 4x4 etc camps there. The alcohol and drug use is rampant so not the best place for the family. I was reading on another forum and many people really liked their EXT.

Old 11-07-2015 | 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

Forget buying the ETX, get the 450HO. It has the 567cc engine with 31HP, but is tuned for tons of low end torque.

Old 11-07-2015 | 12:35 PM
|
Trailblazer

I have a basic understanding of HP, Torque, etc. With the ETX being 30 HP and the 450 HO being 31 HP will I notice a huge difference in performance between the 2.

Old 11-07-2015 | 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by flyin-lowe
I have a basic understanding of HP, Torque, etc. With the ETX being 30 HP and the 450 HO being 31 HP will I notice a huge difference in performance between the 2.
The 30HP 325cc ETX vs the 31HP 567cc 450HO is huge. The 450HO has a lot more torque which is what gets the job done. That includes getting the avt rolling with you on it.

Go 450HO, you will be happy you did.

Old 11-07-2015 | 01:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hp between a smaller displacement engine and a larger one might be close but less displacement generally means less torque. The smaller displacement engine will have to rev higher to make that hp. Peak hp will be at a higher rpm. But a $1400 difference in price is a lot. To get the 567cc engine, you have to step up to the Sportsman 570 which obviously costs more and it makes 44 hp. I have watched many of these shootouts and obviously they are set up to make one machine look better than the other. I watched one with a Grizzly 700 and Sportsman 850 and other than the 850 slightly edging the Grizzly in a drag race, the Grizzly placed higher in all the other categories. Yamaha set that one up so that's why the Grizzly did better.
I guess I'm somewhat fortunate there are some nice trails very close to where I live. I only have to drive a few minutes to get there. I'm in Southern Illinois and there are a few nice places within 70-80 miles as well. I have been down to Land Between the Lakes In Kentucky, that place is great but is about a 4 hour drive from where I live. Its been several years since I've last been there. Went to Badlands over in Indiana back in 2009 I believe. Similar distance from me. Nice place as well.

Quick Reply: EXT questions