Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Primary Clutch on 99 Polaris Scrambler 500

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 08:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Clutch on 99 Polaris Scrambler 500

Hey all, new to this, and to four wheeling. I just bought a 99 Scrambler 500 and it has a bad primary clutch. I ordered a new one and the tools to work on it are on the way. However, would like to know if I can install the new primary clutch as a whole new unit or do I have to work with the springs that are on it. Basically, can I remove the old and install the new, put belt back on and go riding or is this a long drawn out process. Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Most clutches come without springs and counter weights. All you have to do is pop the top off,install your spring and 3 counter weights from the old clutch.Then you can install it. Not that big of a deal.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:06 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for your reply to my question. I just looked the part up and the one I ordered comes with the springs and the counter weights already installed. So hopefully this will be a pull off / install process. Thanks Again

Old 03-24-2016, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for your reply to my question. I just looked the part up and the one I ordered comes with the springs and the counter weights already installed. So hopefully this will be a pull off / install process. Thanks Again

Old 03-24-2016, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

yep if it comes with spring and weights already installed it should be a simple pop old off pop new on..if you havent already, id take peek in the secondary and see if its good to go while ur in there

Old 03-24-2016, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by COwen
Did you order a new OEM clutch? Or an aftermarket clutch.....or a used clutch? As OPT mentioned, OEM usually doesnt come with the spring and weights. Just curious as to what your installing.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds like he got a Parts Ace clutch set up for a Scrambler.But I'd still check weights against the oem. Only new one I've seen with spring and weights.Polaris Scrambler 500 Primary Drive Clutch 2x4 4x4 1996 2011 Brand New | eBay Even Niche doesn't supply weights and spring.Polaris Scrambler 500 Primary Drive Clutch 1997 2006 | eBay

Old 03-25-2016, 10:14 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Fasteratv
Did you order a new OEM clutch? Or an aftermarket clutch.....or a used clutch? As OPT mentioned, OEM usually doesnt come with the spring and weights. Just curious as to what your installing.
It is an aftermarket clutch. Ordered it off of Ebay through Parts Ace in Michigan. It is brand new with spring and weights installed.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:17 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Sounds like he got a Parts Ace clutch set up for a Scrambler.But I'd still check weights against the oem. Only new one I've seen with spring and weights.Polaris Scrambler 500 Primary Drive Clutch 2x4 4x4 1996 2011 Brand New | eBay Even Niche doesn't supply weights and spring.Polaris Scrambler 500 Primary Drive Clutch 1997 2006 | eBay

You are correct. The guy that was helping me figure out the initial problem with the quad stated that it was a good clutch that he had used before. I will be sure to check it out well prior to installing it. Got enough into the used quad, don't want to mess anything else up.

Thanks for your reply and apologize for my late one.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by COwen
You are correct. The guy that was helping me figure out the initial problem with the quad stated that it was a good clutch that he had used before. I will be sure to check it out well prior to installing it. Got enough into the used quad, don't want to mess anything else up.

Make sure it has the same counter weights as your old one..Plus after you put some time on it post back for other Scrambler owners as to how it's working and holding up.Users recommendations can help others save time and money looking for good replacement parts.. Good luck with it and don't over look the ramp buttons in the rear clutch that may need to be changed also.

Quick Reply: Primary Clutch on 99 Polaris Scrambler 500