Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'99 trail blazer won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 07:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 trail blazer won't start...

Hey fella's,

I recently installed a new starter on my trailblazer 250. It is a 2-stroke engine. When I had reassembled the strater side and put the primary and secondary clutch on I fired it up just for a test. Started instantly, and I was super stoked!! So I flipped the switch to "off" and went back to placing the plastic clutch cover on. Once everything was done and I packed up my tools I tried to start the Atv again and nothing..... It just turns over but acts as if it is not getting any spark. I pulled the plug checked the gap, put mixed gas down the hole and installed the SAME spark plug, nothing... Going to replace spark plug today but I was wondering what else may have happened in that 10second window while the Atv started the first time to now. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-03-2016, 09:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hook the new plug up and lay it against the cylinder to check for spark. If you have good spark,but it still doesn't run,do a compression test next.It may not just be something that happened out of the blue but could be a compression problem that has developed over time and finally decided to show up. If it doesn't have spark then could be a problem in the left control switch,ignition switch or even a reverse limiter can short out killing spark. On these I'd pull the limiter black wire anyway.This bypasses the troublesome limiter and allows full power in reverse without having to push the over ride button.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Hook the new plug up and lay it against the cylinder to check for spark. If you have good spark,but it still doesn't run,do a compression test next.It may not just be something that happened out of the blue but could be a compression problem that has developed over time and finally decided to show up. If it doesn't have spark then could be a problem in the left control switch,ignition switch or even a reverse limiter can short out killing spark. On these I'd pull the limiter black wire anyway.This bypasses the troublesome limiter and allows full power in reverse without having to push the over ride button.
Thank you, leaving to get a spark plug now. The trailblazer has been moderately modified (bought it that way) with an updated carb, exhaust, deleted oil tank, bypassed limiter, additional starter switch (factory switch is still operational as well). Bought it off an old Polaris tech lol.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Rglis72
Thank you, leaving to get a spark plug now. The trailblazer has been moderately modified (bought it that way) with an updated carb, exhaust, deleted oil tank, bypassed limiter, additional starter switch (factory switch is still operational as well). Bought it off an old Polaris tech lol.
Then I'd be scared..

Old 04-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I am getting a spark when I place the plug on the cylinder. I put the new plug in, the starter turns over and it ALMOST started but died out. Can't get it to do anything but turn over now. Still getting a good spark. Drained the fuel plug on the bottom as well.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

How would I do a compression test? Sorry about my ignorance but this is my first attempt at fixing an atv

Old 04-03-2016, 11:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If lower than 100 psi,then time for a new top end. You can rent a compression tester set at most auto stores for a small deposit.
"IF" compression is decent,above 110 psi,then could have a crank seal problem. Most of the time on these it's the seal right behind the drive clutch,the area you just through working on to replace the starter..

Old 04-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will have to run and get a compression tester but I went ahead and pulled the clutch off again. The seal "looks" to be in good shape. Grabbed the rod and tried to move it. No wiggle or noise of any kind. That is, if I am looking at the right seal. Maybe get some sort of sealant to run over the top of it while I'm getting the tester?

Attached Thumbnails '99 trail blazer won't start...-image.jpg  
Old 04-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Weird.... Any thoughts?

Attached Files
File Type: mov
capturedvideo.MOV (3.17 MB, 50 views)
Old 04-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

NO sealant!! Only sure fire way to test if a seal,head gasket,base gasket,etc is leaking is through another test. A leak down test that pumps air into the engine and with a soapy water sprayer you can check areas around the engine. BUT since you're already there,I'd certainly replace this seal as cheap as it is. You've already been in this area twice now.. Polaris Trail Blazer 250 1990 2006 Engine Crank Seals | eBay IF possible to read the "Universal" number on the seal,some auto stores may have one in stock? No harm in checking..

Quick Reply: '99 trail blazer won't start...