Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Found my oil leak - cylinder gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 07:17 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

YOU HAVE ONE WORN OUT DRIVE CLUTCH.... If the spider towers where the guide buttons ride look like what I think they do, deeply grooved,probably wouldn't help to try to rebuild this clutch. That's no big deal as cheap clutches from Niche,etc are out there now. Pull the clutch cover,remove the clutch and then you can check for any abnormal engine noises.. Yes replace any washer that's seeping along with replacing the thermostat since you basically have a brand new engine. Plus Niche and Ace clutches are as low as $116 complete.ALL non ebs drive clutches will interchange. Just use your spring and counter weights.https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...lutch&_sacat=0

Old 01-13-2018, 07:22 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got it, thanks again!

Old 01-13-2018, 11:39 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Simon Miller
Got it, thanks again!
In case you haven't already replaced any yet, don't forget that the banjo washers are not steel, but aluminum or copper crush washers.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:09 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by I.b01
In case you haven't already replaced any yet, don't forget that the banjo washers are not steel, but aluminum or copper crush washers.
Actually I realized I installed the washers improperly. Forgot to put one on each side of the pipe. That should fix the drip.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Simon Miller
Actually I realized I installed the washers improperly. Forgot to put one on each side of the pipe. That should fix the drip.
Yes that would help..

Old 01-13-2018, 04:37 PM
Range Rover

Had to replace a couple of the banjo washers after all. They were cheap and in stock. I have a clutch puller ordered, it's now cheaper than homemade version you recommended awhile back. Also ordered new after market thermostat.

Took a small test drive and everything seems good.

Clutch will be next project, the 1999 after market one in Canadian dollars is not cheap. I'd like to look at the old one first to see what is worn out.

Not sure if it's still a Polaris - more of an aftermarket version now...

Old 01-13-2018, 04:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Look at the towers on the spider where the guide bushings ride. Bushings are probably worn anyway,but if the towers are deeply grooved,rebuilding clutches like this usually doesn't help. They will still clatter and knock. I've had them come in sounding worse than yours,more like a diesel clatter.All I did was pop em off and throw on a new clutch. Don't over look the rear clutch ramp buttons. I'd order 3 new ones and have the driven clutch in good shape also. If the belt needs replacing use the oem 3211077 Polaris belt. Newer style ramp buttons or the older style brown ramp buttons. Either style will work. Just find the cheapest ones. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-OEM-2000-...1aMyma&vxp=mtr https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Xpl....c100005.m1851 Parts Ace clutches are the cheapest I've found, may be higher up north, but still a lot cheaper than a 500 buck oem clutch.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Look at the towers on the spider where the guide bushings ride. Bushings are probably worn anyway,but if the towers are deeply grooved,rebuilding clutches like this usually doesn't help. They will still clatter and knock. I've had them come in sounding worse than yours,more like a diesel clatter.All I did was pop em off and throw on a new clutch. Don't over look the rear clutch ramp buttons. I'd order 3 new ones and have the driven clutch in good shape also. If the belt needs replacing use the oem 3211077 Polaris belt. Newer style ramp buttons or the older style brown ramp buttons. Either style will work. Just find the cheapest ones. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-OEM-2000-...1aMyma&vxp=mtr https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Xpl....c100005.m1851 Parts Ace clutches are the cheapest I've found, may be higher up north, but still a lot cheaper than a 500 buck oem clutch.
Is it clutch worn out when letting off throttle from 15-25mph to stop and makes the grinding/squeal noise like in the video posted?

Old 01-13-2018, 05:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by I.b01
Is it clutch worn out when letting off throttle from 15-25mph to stop and makes the grinding/squeal noise like in the video posted?
Clutch is definitely trash. Remove it like I mentioned earlier and you can check for any other noises that may or may not be engine related. Plus the squealing coming down from speed could be from the belt or even the drive or driven clutches themselves. These engines are pretty quiet for the most part when you remove old worn out clattering clutches out of the way. That's why I mentioned replacing the ramp buttons also. If worn down, the helix can grind against the clutch and make a screeching metallic noise. If the noises are gone with the clutches removed,you've found the problem. At least a good start.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:34 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Clutch is definitely trash. Remove it like I mentioned earlier and you can check for any other noises that may or may not be engine related. Plus the squealing coming down from speed could be from the belt or even the drive or driven clutches themselves. These engines are pretty quiet for the most part when you remove old worn out clattering clutches out of the way. That's why I mentioned replacing the ramp buttons also. If worn down, the helix can grind against the clutch and make a screeching metallic noise. If the noises are gone with the clutches removed,you've found the problem. At least a good start.
I believe the only noise right now is the squeel when stopping and not giving any throttle. It happens when coming to a full stop after higher speeds with throttle closed. I'll pull the clutches and find out for sure though.