Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Found my oil leak - cylinder gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 06:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon Miller
Entire head was removed with no problem. But cylinder won’t come off. I’m worried I now have to pull the entire engine out. Don’t have a flywheel puller - way too much $$$ for a one time job. Was trying to remove cylinder with engine in place. So hard to access all the places where I can hammer.
Did you download the manual I listed? If you didn't sounds like you didn't remove the 4 bolts INSIDE the cylinder water jacket along with the two 6mm bolts. Manual shows disassembly step by step with the bolts pictured. Good way to crack a cylinder if you didn't.

4. Remove the two 6 mm cylinder base bolts.
5. Loosen each of the four large cylinder base bolts 1/4 turn
at a time in a criss-cross pattern until loose and remove
bolts.
NOTE: The bolts are inside the water jacket.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh crap. Yes - I have the manual, but I missed the 4 bolts in the water jacket. For crying out loud - I’m cursing like a sailer. OPT - u saved the day again!
... back to work...

Old 12-03-2017, 06:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you cracked the cylinder I didn't exactly save the day for you.. Oh well you said you were planning on replacing it as a kit..

Old 12-03-2017, 06:25 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you cracked the cylinder I didn't exactly save the day for you.. Oh well you said you were planning on replacing it as a kit..
I don’t have the 12 point socket to remove it tonight, will buy one tomorrow. But I’m going to bed knowing how to solve the problem. Replacing the cylinder is a small price to pay compared to pulling the entire engine to then realize my mistake.

The kit I’m looking at has a new tensioner plus the cylinder. The chain slipped again - so I’m assuming it’s the tensioner. Timing was not off, but chain was lined up the way I had set it before.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you're going to all that trouble order a new chain. Especially if the chain feels the least bit loose or the tensioner is all the way out.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:34 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you're going to all that trouble order a new chain. Especially if the chain feels the least bit loose or the tensioner is all the way out.
That's what I was thinking too. Chains stretch over time and it would be easier to change it now than to go back and do it later.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:37 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
That's what I was thinking too. Chains stretch over time and it would be easier to change it now than to go back and do it later.
Will do. Thanks again.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:30 AM
Range Rover

Can you remove the chain without having to pull the flywheel?

Old 12-04-2017, 08:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Simon Miller
Can you remove the chain without having to pull the flywheel?
Nope gotta pull the flywheel. Not that big of a deal as you can rent a harmonic balancer puller at most auto parts houses for a small refundable deposit rather than buying one if you wish. Mark the stator plate and case with a pin punch even if you may have marks on it anyway. This makes sure you have stator timing correct when you reinstall it. Make sure the lower crank sprocket is tight. Left hand threads on the slotted nut holding it in place on the woodruff key so be careful.Just a simple tap with a punch and hammer to make sure. Look at the manual carefully as it shows how to time the chain up correctly with the plated links. Look at these pics that a member took when he timed his up. One plated link on the lower sprocket mark,two plated links on the two dots on the cam sprocket.https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...ml#post3305250

Old 12-04-2017, 11:57 AM
Range Rover

I found a video on using the balance harmonica - is there a better way to hold the flywheel in place than a strap?