Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 Polaris Sportsman 450-only starts with booster pack!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2007 Polaris Sportsman 450-only starts with booster pack!?

Help! I am brand new here and for that matter to forums at all.

i have weird problem and have exhausted talking to friends with Polaris ATVs as well as my local dealer.
i am hoping some of you knowledgable people will be able to offer some suggestions and point me (politely)
in the right direction, please.

I originally thought I had an ecm issue but not entirely sure now...
I have been searching forums etc for months regarding my ecm issues. I have read about the recalls and all of the issues. I bought this quad about 3 yrs ago, the seller told me he had some over charging issues and had the exam replaced to the newer silver finned 4011568 module. I drove it on to the truck
brought it home and unloaded it, my son drove it around the field a few times maybe a total of an hour.
We put it away and then it sat for about a year and a half, I was diagnosed with Cancer and was dealing with that and had no time for the quad. My son and other relatives did take it out in the summer of 2016 to see if it would start, it did not. So a new battery was purchased and installed, they managed to get it to start but then it did some weird things, like the fan running after shut off etc. They looked at the area where the ecm is located and saw that the plug had been zip tied onto the ecm, thinking that was odd they undid the zip ties. They checked the plug and it smelled burnt and they plugged it back in and it wouldn't start. It was then put away. In an outdoor storage area. Unfortunately it ended up out in the elaments through the winter.
Finally got it into my garage this fall/winter. Got a new battery, took the ecm out....opened it up...it had gotten water inside it and was all rusted. I took it all apart and cleaned off everything it was like new. I checked the plug now and cleaned it all up and although it was not perfect I thought it would work enough to try starting it. I also changed the solenoid because it was very corroded and cleaned up all the connections for the cables ( battery, starter, solenoid etc ). We used a tester and made sure there was power going from the battery all the way to the winch. All seemed like it should be good to go. I turned the key and nothing, the cluster didn't light up or anything.
So, I decided to disconnect the battery and I used one of those small booster packs and clamped it directly to the wires and tried again...perfect! The cluster lit up, the lights work everything was turning over...excellent.

Here is the problem now, I disconnected the booster pack, hooked the battery back up and tried the key.
Nothing works. This is a brand new battery Showing 12.8 volts. Confused, so I disconnect the battery again...I take a car battery I have that shows 12.6volts and I use booster cables form the battery to the wires on the ATV
I turn the key and Nothing. So I disconnect that and go back and try this little pocket booster pack with 450 cca
connected to the wires...and the key turns and everything comes on and it turns right over.
The only thing I am changing is the power source.

I am am hoping that I was clear with my story and that somebody can read this and offer a suggestion.

i can't really afford to just buy a new ecm for $500 ( I'm in Ontario Canada ) to try it. I do plan to buy a new plug and fix and replace all the pins etc.
It doesn't make sense to me that the ecm still faulty if it will start with a booster pack.

If the ecm is the problem...
I am hoping there is somebody with more experience and knowledge about these ecm modules that could explain to me why the ecm would not allow it to start with a battery but it would start with a booster pack.

Any other answer, solutions or information would be greatly appreciated.
If somebody could explain to me why it is the ecm and convince me that is the problem
I will save my pennies and buy one. But I certainly don't want to buy one if that isn't the issue.

This is the first time I have ever posted on a forum...not really sure how it works.
if somebody has info feel free to email me direct at sbrannigan@hotmail.ca
Otherwise I guess I will just have to keep coming back to this site watching for a response.

Thank you all so very much for taking the time to read my long winded story/issue.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The ecms are really junk to begin with. Doesn't matter if they were Chinese or the replacement US made modules.They would fail the same as the Chinese modules. I've replaced several on the same atvs.Possible part of your problem is the way it has set up for lengths of time,run awhile and stored up again. I know that shouldn't matter but on these ecms it can. Your harness connector may also be part of the problem if the pins aren't making a good contact. Plus you noted that the connector smelled burnt. Possible that you may need another ecm,but before I did that I'd try a replacement connector. They have these out now for the Sportsman and Rangers. Possible that it may take that booster pack for that extra kick to get power through the connector. Pins may have pulled back a tad,a wire may be partially melted internally(look for any soft feeling wires)but I'd go with a replacement connector first.If you can't get power through the ecm after that,then the ecm could be at fault again. 16 pin connectors are 32 bucks here https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-POLARIS...hX~9Xu&vxp=mtr as they realized that these were a problem area also. You might check other sources for a cheaper one such as this place also.Motorcycle Connectors Plus make sure to use electrical grease to protect it.There is a listing for the 3 connector harness along with the main connector for $36.I'd call to make sure on this one though.http://www.cycle-parts.com/Products/...8-2410921.aspx

Attached Thumbnails 2007 Polaris Sportsman 450-only starts with booster pack!?-s-l1600.jpg  

Last edited by old polaris tech; 01-19-2018 at 12:14 PM. Reason: 2410921 harness.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:31 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just come back and look at the forum every day instead of getting notifications. But look to the far left of the screen near the top of the page. Click on User CP to get to your control panel. Under Settings and Options, Edit Options, there's something called Messaging & Notification. Look there under Default Thread Subscription Mode and you have the option to have an email sent to you every time someone replies to any of the threads you subscribe to.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a similar bike, and went through the whole electrical nightmare that comes along with them.
As for the only starting with a jump pack thing, I'm lost. But I do know, that mine was the left hand kill switch that wouldn't let mine light up. The pins were all green, where the wires run into it. With yours sitting outside for a while, you may want to take a look.
I was able to find a used kill switch for $35 on eBay. Otherwise new, they are around $90 here.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wthanks so much to each of you for your help.
i have the emails coming to me now. I have ordered a new connector to try that first as suggested.
it will take a couple weeks for the new connector to get to me, so while I wait I am going to take apart the
kill switch on the left handle. I am assuming you are referring to the switch with the "run-off-run" on it.
i will check all the wiring and connections to make sure it all seems fine.
I am thinking that if it works with the booster pack then the kill switch must be fine...but it won't hurt to check and ensure the wiring is all in good condition.
Once I replace the connector with the new pins and everything I am hoping it resolves the problem.
Seeing as it starts with the booster pack I am hoping that "old Polaris tech" is correct in saying the booster is strong enough to push the power through the bad connectors and the ecm is working properly. I am thinking if it wasn't the connector, but a bad ecm it wouldn't start at all. Anyway, I will put up another posting once the connector is replaced and the kill switch is checked out. Thanks again for the help.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wthanks so much to each of you for your help.
i have the emails coming to me now. I have ordered a new connector to try that first as suggested.
it will take a couple weeks for the new connector to get to me, so while I wait I am going to take apart the
kill switch on the left handle. I am assuming you are referring to the switch with the "run-off-run" on it.
I am thinking that if it works with the booster pack then the kill switch must be fine...but it won't hurt to check and ensure the wiring is all in good condition.
Once I replace the connector with the new pins and everything I am hoping it resolves the problem.
Seeing as it starts with the booster pack I am hoping that "old Polaris tech" is correct in saying the booster is strong enough to push the power through the bad connectors and the ecm is working properly. I am thinking if it wasn't the connector, but a bad ecm it wouldn't start at all. Anyway, I will put up another posting once the connector is replaced and the kill switch is checked out. Thanks again for the help.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Lightbulb Hoping a new connector solves the problem.

Thanks so much to each of you for your help.