Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First time post - Looking to pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 12:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today was the day. I ended up purchasing a 2013 Sportsman 550 EFI. It does not have EPS, but I am ok with that. I have the clean title, so that is great!

Its in really great condition, decent hours/miles. See pics below. The tire will need to be replaced eventually, but they have some tread left. The one thing I found, which I am confused on is the Speed0/Main Headlight plastic housing that secures to the handlebars. It seems to be somewhat loose. I would have thought it should be securely attached the handlebars so it does not wiggle/bounce around. Any ideas?

Cheers and let the addiction begin!

Old 02-27-2018, 01:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great. Looks like you have the exact same trailer I have. Mines a 2015 Aluma 54"x8' with the optional side kit that I bought used last year. Great trailers, tow really easily and track well at interstate speeds. So light you barely know they're back there, even with a mid-size Chevy Colorado like I have.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TPA-MX-ATV
The one thing I found, which I am confused on is the Speed0/Main Headlight plastic housing that secures to the handlebars. It seems to be somewhat loose. I would have thought it should be securely attached the handlebars so it does not wiggle/bounce around. Any ideas?
Congrats on this very clean looking 550. Looks brand new,not almost 5 years old. Upper and lower headlight pods are secured to a bracket on the handle bars.Headlight has a couple screws and thick o-rings to secure it in place. Designed to be mounted like this to help on vibration and in case of a wreck the pod would give and not the bars,supposedly. Didn't always work out that way though.Again a good looking 550. Hope it gives you years of service.

Attached Thumbnails First time post - Looking to pull the trigger-044aa3a5a3ef57ea105e90fde81bda3f5e4896c4.png   First time post - Looking to pull the trigger-52e5661f5e9f53665e368b9cccfbf9d3ac356668.png   First time post - Looking to pull the trigger-47aed16b9dedd65e4d1d6b086bd6f0367860e001.png  
Old 02-27-2018, 02:04 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by greg74
Looks great. Looks like you have the exact same trailer I have. Mines a 2015 Aluma 54"x8' with the optional side kit that I bought used last year. Great trailers, tow really easily and track well at interstate speeds. So light you barely know they're back there, even with a mid-size Chevy Colorado like I have.
Thanks! I do love the trailer....it is super light and bounces around a bit when it has no load.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:11 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Congrats on this very clean looking 550. Looks brand new,not almost 5 years old. Upper and lower headlight pods are secured to a bracket on the handle bars.Headlight has a couple screws and thick o-rings to secure it in place. Designed to be mounted like this to help on vibration and in case of a wreck the pod would give and not the bars,supposedly. Didn't always work out that way though.Again a good looking 550. Hope it gives you years of service.
Thank you Sir! I did take the headlamp assembly apart and noticed that the 2 lower tabs that are screwed to the brackets on the handlebars were both broken. Thus it really only being secured by the single screw that is next to the ignition switch.

None the less, I ordered a new lower pod panel, and all will be fixed!

I am going to start a new thread for the questions I am going to have as I start to upgrade, clean, maintain, etc.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:04 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations on the new 550. Those look like the same kind of tires that came stock on a friend's 850. The tread is non-directional so you can swap them side to side without them being backward. That works out great for my friend because sometimes we ride the shoulder of the road with one side on the pavement and the other side in the dirt. The side on pavement wears much faster, and when it does he just has to swap sides until both sides are worn out.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Congratulations on the new 550. Those look like the same kind of tires that came stock on a friend's 850. The tread is non-directional so you can swap them side to side without them being backward. That works out great for my friend because sometimes we ride the shoulder of the road with one side on the pavement and the other side in the dirt. The side on pavement wears much faster, and when it does he just has to swap sides until both sides are worn out.
Thats great to know. The tread is low, but will be ok for my wife to cruise around in the woods.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TPA-MX-ATV
Thanks! I do love the trailer....it is super light and bounces around a bit when it has no load.
Yeah I have noticed that when they're empty. The only time I really went very far with mine unloaded was when I bought it, dealer was about 30 miles from me. I had to take it home down some less than smooth paved roads. I finally had to slow down a as it was bouncing a bit. It was still tracking perfect but I didn't want to break something on the trailer I just bought. To be fair, I was going faster than I should have been anyway. 60-65 mph was just too fast on that road, slowed down to about 45 mph and things smoothed out. I love how easy they are to move around by hand or effortlessly tow with the atv.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:21 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a nice looking trailer. My trailer is all steel with a 2" lumber floor and even it bounces a little going 70 MPH when empty. It's a good thing the freeways are mostly nice and smooth.