Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What's an xplorer worth?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2001, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 polaris xplorer 400 4x4. I have 38 hours on the machine and have owned it since march of 2000. I have sank a ton of money in this thing and just don't ride it that much. With the rising gas prices i have decided to get rid of it. It's time to get a streetbike. I just put new plastic on it about 2 weeks ago and spent almost 900 dollars in parts this week on it. Had to buy 2 new cv joints, 2 rear hubs, and new axle. I'm tired of working on it. This thing looks brand new and have lots of mods to it. I have all my receipts and the total is over 12000. It's just getting out of hand. I also have a warranty that covers all maintenance for 3 years. What should i ask for it? Should i sell it to a private individual or take it to the dealership? I personally don't like to sell things through the newspaper. I don't have the time to show it to anyone. What do you think it would be worth? My mods are listed below. I also have the stock wheels and tires with maybe 10 hours on them along with stock exhaust. My pics are at http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jjtdiceman
thanks for your help.

Old 05-17-2001, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Your in for a HUGE loss so expect it if you MUST sell it.Why so many mods and $$ and now you dont want it?I dont understand that.

First off,it will take the RIGHT buyer to even buy a used 2 stroke ATV and the mods mean VERY little to most people,in fact,the truth be known,you can probably forget all about trying to get the money you have invested in mods on this ATV.If you get the RIGHT buyer[one who desires all them mods]you could get decent money,however,Im betting you wont find someone like that.Best of luck and I hope things work out for you,
Bill

Old 05-18-2001, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, you are probably right. It would be really hard to find someone that will buy it with all of the mods on it. Most people don't care about how much time or money you've got into the machine. All they care about is the blue book value. I realize that i will take a huge loss when i get rid of it, but nothing holds it's value forever. I have dumped thousands into this machine and just am tired of spending more money on it. I can tell you that i never had a problem with reliability before i put all the mods on it. When it was stock i never had a problem. It's been a lot of fun but the last 5 times i have taken it out i have had to get it pulled out of the woods. It's not the polaris reliability issue, i think that they are well built machines. They aren't made to be lifted and transformed into mud machines. I've looked at retail value in the kelly blue book value. It lists for 4800 used. I would be happy to take 5000 for it and cut my losses. It's time to move on and find a new toy.

Old 05-18-2001, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

MEANGREENMACHINE,
If you would like to sell the winch,I could be intrested,you see,I have the EXACT make and model ATV with a few mods of my own.Feel like making a deal on some of the mods?
Bill

00 Xplorer 400cc 4x4
26'Mudrunners
Modified PSI pipe/w stock Scrambler silencer
Delta V-force reeds/spacer kit
Hot Seat clutch kit
RcR airbox mods-230 mainjet
KN Filter and Unifilter
Custom Cargo Box
100% Brass Brakes

Old 05-19-2001, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't mine taking the wheels and tires off your hand? how much for them? also you dont need a lift do you? Also on that rear black polaris box you had on the rear there in the pics, what was the best way to hold it down, im having trouble keeping mine down, whats your secret?

Old 05-22-2001, 11:05 AM
Range Rover

I might buy the stick stoppers, the dry box and the windshield. Who knows if you can sell off some of the mods maybe you could cut your losses.( I think you could find a buyer for the Scrambler pipe on here)
Joe