Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sport 400 Engine Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-1999 | 12:29 PM
|
Pro Rider

Most likely its a vent line from either the transmission, engine counterbalancer,carb, fuel tank or oil tank. They all have vent lines routed to different places. Trace it back to its home. Charlie

Old 12-24-1999 | 02:28 PM
Range Rover

First off I must say this...This is without a doubt the best place in the world to get info about your POlaris ATV. Where else can you get such a broad variety of answers from every type of personality? We the regular registered users are what make this site so effective. Like a close knit community spread
around the world.

However, last summer I was out on the 96 Sport 400, one of the first long rides since I bought it,(bought it in 99) and stopped to switch with the wife for the Trail Boss 250. When we stopped I noticed smoke billowing off the 400! I was in shock!

I traced the smoke to an oil drip that was landing on the exhaust pipe right at the connection to the cylinder. An oil line that originated on the top of the R.H. crackcase
cover was the culprit. It was a clear small plastic flexible hose that routed up under the fuel tank and ended up ending stright over the exh. pipe, just up higher near the fuel tank.

I simply re-routed the line and stopped the smoke from re-occuring. My question is: What is the purpose of this line? Aside form the obvious...

Is it a leak off line of some sort for the crank case? The pressurized case of the two stroke must have been pushing the oil up the line and out to drip on my exhaust. The oil was travelling against gravity. It was clean oil like it was right from my reservoir.

Anyone got any answers here?
F.Y.I. I have rebuilt my share of 2 and 4 stroke single and multiple cylinder engines but I have not ever taken apart a Polaris ATV engine.

Thx. In advance. Keith