Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch wear items

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-1999, 02:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a clutch kit for my scrambler 500 so I decided that I would install it to save time and money. Boy I am glad I did this myself. When I was in there I noticed that the spider buttons were worn really bad, there are 6 spider buttons in the primary that have worn out badly in under a year, plus I had to replace the 3 buttons in the secondary. The worst part about it was that I needed a "special tool" called a spider removel tool to be able to replace the spider buttons. My dealer let me use his "special tools" to remove the spider. Well since I was doing this much I thought I should go ahead and replace my worn swingarm bushings, what a job. I had to use a special tool to get the primary off and then I had to take the secondary off and then the back of the pvt case just to get to one of the two bolts that hold the swingarm on. Well I got the swingarm off and now I am waiting on parts. This should be fun putting it back together, at least I learned alot and saved a ton of money on labor.

------------------
Steve Thompson 99 Scrambler 500 MyScrambler

Old 12-28-1999, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

I guess it's too late now... But I just pulled the back part of the clutch cover forward and stuck a socket wrench in there to get to the swingarm. I had to completely remove the swingarm (except shock) to remove the trans. What a pain, but different story. Anyway, I still had to remove the secondary to get to it, but that just slides off. I need to buy one of those special tools.

Old 12-30-1999, 02:41 PM
Range Rover

Why did you have to remove the trans?????? I don't see how you moved it forward, you were lucky or I was unlucky. I tried to get behind the cover but I had to take everything off. I had to use the biggest socket wench I ever seen to turn the swingarm bolts, oh well I am going to pick up the parts now so I will be very busy tonight hopefully I can remember where every screw goes. LOL

------------------
Steve Thompson 99 Scrambler 500 MyScrambler

Old 12-30-1999, 02:41 PM
Range Rover

Why did you have to remove the trans?????? I don't see how you moved it forward, you were lucky or I was unlucky. I tried to get behind the cover but I had to take everything off. I had to use the biggest socket wench I ever seen to turn the swingarm bolts, oh well I am going to pick up the parts now so I will be very busy tonight hopefully I can remember where every screw goes. LOL