Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Narrowed it down to 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2001 | 11:56 PM
|
Pro Rider

Here are the three quads I have narrowe it down to. Xplorer 400, Grizzly 600, Polaris H.O.
I can get the Xplorer for $4199
Grizzly $5400
H.O. price isn't available yet

I need to hear what some of you people that are not loyal to one brand and bash the other, or those who will give me there honest opinion. I haven't ridden the Griz but for the price you can't argue with it. I just don't like the four wheele drive system and the problem with overheating. I have heard the suspension is less than stellar, and me being a proud Polaris owner, I like having a plush suspension. I like the H.O. but don't want to grease all of those damn grease zerks and I don't like the weight factor. The Xplorer is nice but I don't want to have to rebuild and I don't like the chain drive. I need something that is reliable, powerful, low maintance( for a quad) and tough. As you can see, I have a tough choice, I am trading in my Magnum but I don't want to let it go for roughly $2800 on trade. It is in great condition, so I thought about keeping it and getting the Griz. The markdown won't be as great if I do trade in though. I have realized that as I get older I am needing something with more power. When I got the Mag it had more than enough, now I want something bigger. So if anyone has advice( and don't start arguing) it is much appreciated.

Old 06-21-2001 | 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

What year is your Magnum? I wouldn't ever trade in if I were you. I would sell it for a better price in the classifieds.

Old 06-21-2001 | 12:12 AM
|
Pro Rider

It is a 2000, I have tried selling it but it didn't go. I had 3800 on it at the time which has been a while, It just has the basic brush scratches.

Old 06-21-2001 | 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know anyone with a HO Sportsman yet (just the non-HO) so I won't go there.

I have a 400 Xplorer and have a neighbor who used to have a Grizzly.
As silly as this may sound, the Xplorer turned out to actually be a better machine for work. The reason is simple...the Grizz will overheat in a loaded-down low-speed situation. His Grizz had to have some engine work on it done due to overheating (Cam, I think, but not for sure).
Power-wise & speed-wise they were VERY evenly matched. The Xplorer has true 4x4 while the Grizz he had was a 3-wheel wonder. After getting his Grizz fixed, he used it for just running around & uses his other ATV for work (water cooled Yamaha - Kodiak, I think). Since then, his Grizz had been pretty much trouble-free for another 4000 miles (had over 6000 total) until he traded it in (said he would never get another ATV that wasn't water-cooled). I think the biggest thing is to keep the Grizz moving, it needs air circulation to keep it cool. Idling & pulling a small sprayer at 5 MPH and under just gets it too hot.
However, for trail riding, it is hard to beat.
I have over 4100 miles on my Xplorer with under $20 in repairs so far, and nothing I know of ready to fail.
That is my argument for the Xplorer, now the arguments against it (compared to Grizz)
Although it has less zerks than a Sportsman, they are harder to get at, especially the left swingarm zerk. The others are OK, but that one is a bear. I think if you were to remove the left rear wheel it wouldn't be bad, but who wants to do that? I just lay on a creeper, and use a grease gun with a long hose, and stretch to reach it. It isn't impossible, just awkward. The Grizz doesn't have any hard to get at zerks. Also, the Xplorer takes a LOT of air, and it picky about it being clean, so you should be servicing the air cleaner about 2 times as often as with the Grizz, although the airbox is much better designed. The Grizz is shaft-drive so no chain to worry about. I am still on my original chain, but for it to last, you do have to lube it often, and adjust it regularly.

Hope I helped at least a little.

Old 06-22-2001 | 12:52 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Farmer 123 is right. Get a water cooled machine. The chain should not worry you because I have the original on my 1993 Trail Boss. Maintenancce is easy on the Xplorer just be particular on the air cleaner. I am also considering an Xplorer 400.

Old 06-22-2001 | 12:53 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

By the way, that is a hell of a deal ($4100) on the 2001 Xplorer because $5400 is the best I could find from 10 different dealerrs (with a winch).

Old 06-23-2001 | 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

Polarisman, I think most any Xplorer owner will tell you that your two problems with the Xplorer aren't really problems at all.
Yeah, so its a two-stroke, but that doesn't mean you're going to have to rebuild every 1000 miles (anybody got any more accurate numbers for this?). I've got 1400 on mine with no engine problems.
If you're worried about the chain snagging on stuff in the woods, you shouldn't worry about it. I've got a LOT of hours on mine in the woods, through some pretty nasty brush, and everywhere else you can think of. Never snagged it on a stick or branch, ever. Greasing the chain takes maybe 2 minutes, and adjusting it takes maybe 10-20. I grease usually once a week, and I usually wind up adjusting it about once a month.

My advice is to get the Xplorer.

Old 06-25-2001 | 10:42 AM
HO
Weekend Warrior

I wouldn't worry about greasing the '01 HO. The first time is a bit time consuming, but after that it is less than 1/2 hr once you know where they are. I actually like the idea of having more of my machine lubed well. The prices on the '01 HO are down right now. I got mine for $6,100 out the door back in Apr, and have seen prices under $6,000 the last couple of weeks. The limited edition models will still be in the mid $6,000s+. With the '02s on the horizon, now is a good time to shop around. Make sure whatever machine you get that you call several dealers. I have seen price differences of up to 8-900 dollars between dealerships. Good luck.

Ed

Old 06-25-2001 | 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

Campy, the engine life is dictated more by hours run than miles driven because of big differences in travel speed. Fortunately, the newer ones have an hour meter. My mechanic said this (and this is just his recommendation for most drivers in my area): He recommends that somewhere between 600 and 800 hours of operation (severe use closer to 600, general trail riding closer to 800) he suggested to me that I bring it in. He will hone the cylinder one size bigger, and put in a new piston & rings. We are talking about $100 or $150 in parts, plus another $100 to $200 in labor. There is a big variation because you never know what it is gonna take until you get it apart. The higher price for labor includes a slight porting job, polishing of the intake tract, and any re-jetting if necessary. (as he said all prices subject to change).
The reason he suggests this is to replace the piston BEFORE it cracks a skirt, and sends pieces flying around in there, causing a $1000 total rebuild. In his opinion, if you changed the counterbalance oil every year, that shouldn't need anything until next overhaul unless you got water in there.
I got to figuring, and that is between 8000 and 10,000 miles the way I drive, and that sounds about right, as most 400 engines around here if left stock, and well cared for will go about 10,000 miles (or more) of mostly fast trails and/or backroads. I have seen at least one case of a 12,000 mile 400 Xpress that was used just as a run-around.