Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Are we over-concerned with the weight of ATVs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<< I am concerned about the weight. If your a snowplower then sure, you want more weight. I am concerned about getting through mud, and the lighter the better. If our sp500's and my xpedition was 100 lbs. lighter, it would make a big difference. I my self, believe the guy above with the xplorer which is lighter and that atv with 26 or 27 inch mud tires, to me, probably is a better mudding atv. My friend bought one, and after he gets good mud tires. I will see for my self. I expect it to be very good on the mud trails. I wish my atv was a lot lighter. Rangerchet 2000 polaris xpedition 425. >>

If he doesn't roost up the trail in front of you it will most likely be a good thing.

Nothing worse than a fellow atver with mud tires and a pinned throttle tearing up the trails needlessly when actually he could have idled through the same place in low range and presevered trail passability for others.

The weight will also make a difference for driving on top of crusty snow. Wider tires and a lighter weight just might keep a person from breaking through.

I have watched the older underpowered Honda 300 4x4's go through places that were unbelievable. With big tires and their light weight they sometimes just seem to float through the bogs and sinkholes.

So I guess if a guy can't have lighter weight, ground clearance and big lugged tires would help to make up the difference. But then again there is no way that one person can lift a Sportsman up out of the ruts by themselves.

Looks like we will have to see what the new Yamaha Grizzly, and the Kawasaki 650 do in the real world this year. It is going to be a great year for watching how these 2002 models from all manufacturers will perform in the muddy and deep and on the fire roads.

Old 07-03-2001, 03:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<< But then again there is no way that one person can lift a Sportsman up out of the ruts by themselves. >>

Yes, this is true. This is also why they made WINCHES![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]