Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

lighter scrambler what are some ways?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

crawdad: the drive shaft is still sticking out of the transmission. I simply removed all of the u-joints and the shaft that connected the tranny to the front transfer case.

Arcticatsux: Yes, you can put it back on. My recommendation to you would be to go to your local library or buy the Haynes Repair manual for Polaris. They have good instructions on how to take things apart. I don't know how experienced you are but here's what I did.

1. removed the ujoints and drive shaft that connect the transmission to the front transfer case. Just punch out the pins. You'll see them, they look like little coils wound up in a 1/4" hole.

2. Removed wheels,drained hub oil, took off hub. You need to use the spindles so it is necessary to pull the spindles apart from the shaft coming from the front transfer case to the wheel. They are connected together using a ball and socket joint. To get them apart, pull quickly and hard on the spindle. Keep the spindle clean!

3. Remove the bolts that hold the transfercase on and remove it.

4. Put the spindles back on, fill with proper amount of hub oil, put cv boots back on. To plug up the hole left in the end of the boot I went to my local hardware store and found a pvc plug that fit perfectly and clamped in on with a radiator clamp.

That should be it! Don't bother pressing the AWD button anymore!

To Everyone!!! Yes this was really an extensive project and a lot of headaches could have been saved by buying a 2wd. But I had fun and learned a lot.

Old 07-02-2001, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry I guess I'm not as bored as all of you.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 07-02-2001, 06:17 PM
Range Rover

Quad Buster,

No, I haven't removed my fan, but I know of two people who have. The one occasion I did go riding with someone who did remove their fan, the machine did overheat. But it wasn't because of the lack of a fan. He developed a pin hole leak in the 90 degree brass elbow that is attached to the head and ran his machine out of coolant. After he figured out it was the lack coolant and added water (stream water, no anti freeze) he never had a problem the rest of the day. He just made sure that the coolant was topped off whenever we stopped. as a matter of fact, I'm going to remove my fan the next off day I get. I want to lighten the front end to gain back some of the wheelie capability I lost when I added the extended swingarm.