Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

will jumping really mess up my scram that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001 | 06:09 PM
|
Range Rover

i know this is a big topic and what do u think there are some of u that jump your polaris's guts out and havent had a problem yet and yet some have had millons of problems so should i jump if so how high??

--------------------
scrambler 500
dont have time to list mods

Old 06-28-2001 | 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Its all about the landing, you can launch 20' easily as long as you land on the transition.. On the other hand you can launch it 5' and not land on the transition and bottom out hard.. I think if you have a good jump with a good landing you probally can launch that sucker without problems as long as you land with the jump..

Old 06-29-2001 | 09:43 AM
Range Rover

Personally I jump my machine hard and as long as I watch where I'm going I can launch it to about 33 ft. But if you hit a ramp at the wrong angle it is possible to wreck a quad but only because of hitting a tree on landing never a problem from normal long jumping or sort jump's.

Old 06-29-2001 | 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

I took my scrambler up to the local motocross track, sent it off a huge double and the chain snapped and went through the transmission. If you have concentric drive remember before you jump it to loosen the chain, cuz when you land the chain will tension up.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 06-29-2001 | 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

That's funny, I just got back from a ride last nite and there was a young guy jumping his 400 Sport on the MX track. I noticed he kept coming back to his truck and working on his quad. Later his dad came up to me and asked if I ever had much problem with my Scrambler. He said his son was having problems with his chain and jumping on the MX track. He said if he set it by the book it snapped and if he set it loose it jumped off the sprocket. I told him I keep mine loose and I rarely jump because of the chain problem. I told him if I was going to ride MX all the time I would buy a Honda or Yamaha. I know some guys may jump their Scramblers or Sports with no problem but I've never had that luck myself.

Old 06-29-2001 | 02:11 PM
Pro Rider
From: South Central Illinois, NO where near Chicago, that's not my Illinois

I rode a Scrambler for three years and regularly launch it and never had any problems. I would always check the chain play before a new ride but never had it snap or come off (allthough my buddies did, twice). I also never had to adjust it during a ride. I must say that my Scrambler was pre concentric set up though. I have to agree with whoever said if I were going to ride an mx track all the time I would have a 400ex setting in my garage.

Old 06-29-2001 | 02:46 PM
|
Range Rover

how loose do u put the chain i thought with concectric drive the chain didnt tenson up? and can u get a gaurd like all the racers have so when there chains come off it hits a shield and doesnt go through the transmission???????//[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 06-29-2001 | 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

I love to jump my Scrambler and even the Sportsman from time to time.
Before I jump I will check out the ramp up, landing area, and only jump when there is a down slope on the other side to help with the landing.
Take it real slow a couple times untill you get the feel for that jump, you might even need to take a shovel to the ramp so that it gives a good launch, and a predictible flight. Use your body weight and Throttle to keep the front up just a little.
Other than that GO FOR IT.
I have noticed that if you dont get the bolts tight enough when you adjust, it can move on you after a hard landing.
If you break a chain from lack of maintenance, you are not watching this close enough, and might want to find a new hobby.

Old 06-29-2001 | 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

on my 2000 Scrambler 400 2X4 I
(1)Roll the bike and find the tightest spot in the chain, yes it will have a tighter spot,
(2) then I give it about 3/4 of an inch play up and down.
(3) tighten the bolts back up good and tight(but don't break them tuf guy)
(4) Then you might also want to jump up and down on the back of the quad while someone else checks the chain at the bottom of the suspension movement, as well as the top.
after this you will have a good feal for how tight the chain needs to be on your bike.
Also make sure the back shock preload is tightened up enough so that the *** end of the quad is only a little lower than the front when you are sitting on it.
Polaris Scramblers come from the factory with no preload.
I see a lot of Scrambler 500's runnin around with the front end pointing to the stars. That makes it handle poorly and guarantees a bottom out on jumps. (can also be the cause of broken parts after a jump)
Once you know the chain is good to go and the rear shock is set right, Put on your gear and ,FLY LIKE BIRD,
In a safe way of course.

Old 06-29-2001 | 05:09 PM
Range Rover

HPD also sells a chain tensioner for concentric drive as well as non concentric. I just put one on (concentric) and I have to say it works very nice. It was pretty easy to install only problem was grinding down the mounting tab for the old chain guide. If you like to jump consider it a little insurance policy for your chain and tranny case. But as Megacrash said make sure your suspension is cranked up a bit the bike should only sag about an inch or two when you get on it.

Quick Reply: will jumping really mess up my scram that bad?