Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hole in crankcase of xplorer

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weedy, if i was to get other tires for my machine it would be the goodyear mudrunners. I have a buddy of mine with them on his sp 500. He can go most places i can go with them. They ride really nice and hold up well. The also clean easliy except in really thick mud. They look awesome too. You might want to check them out also.

Old 07-03-2001, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer

Meangreenmachine, I had my crank case rewelded when it was being rebuilt. The guy was laughing when he first saw it, it was covered in JB weld like yours. I have not had any more trouble with it since. I ride as much as I can in the woods and mud in my area, in the summer I am out once a week mostly teaching my 3yr old how to ride. I am trying to convince the wife I need a mini for her for Christmas.
Ingoldx1

Old 07-05-2001, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Ingoldx, thanks for all your help. You were right about the piston skirt. I only had half a piston left when i checked the motor. I can't believe it ran after that. How much did it cost you to have it welded back? Did you take off the jbweld? Did you have to take out the motor to get it done or leave it in the bike? Thanks for the help.

Old 07-06-2001, 01:40 PM
Trailblazer

I don't remember the cost for only the weld job, the hole thing was about $450. I would have the case split becuase the pieces that made the hole most likely have many little friends down in the bottom of the case. I took every thing off I could before taking the bike to my mechanic (be carefull, so people won't touch them unless they take them apart). I saved a lot of money by shortening the time he put into the teardown and rebuild. I had new bearings on the crank installed and everything else that was easily replaced when apart.
Good luck!
Ingoldx1
### The JB will have to come off.

Old 07-06-2001, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

Ingoldx, thanks for the help. I checked at the dealership yesterday. I can get the side of the case that has the hole in it for 260 bucks. The hole is only on one side of the case just about where the sides meet together. I looked down in my crank and didn't see any more pieces down there. They must have been chopped up pretty good. I believe i will just buy the side case instead of having it welded back. Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-07-2001, 01:37 PM
Trailblazer

Meangreen, did you even end up selling the stuff you didn't want on your bike anymore? I thought you were selling some tires, and other acceciors a while back?

Old 07-07-2001, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

Muddyxplor, I still have everything. I was trading it in for another bike and the dealer was very nice until we got down to business. Then they tried to give me way less than what they told me to begin with. So i left. I am going to keep it now. I just have too much money and time invested in the thing to get rid of it. Especially now after the hole in the crankcase. I might do some more engine work to it while i got it apart. How do those cool heads perform? Do you get the same results by shaving the head? I would like to squeeze as much power as possible out of the motor.