Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

shreaded belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2000, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 98' scrambler 500HO, today it shreaded the belt. I think it was the original belt, I have only owned it since Christmas. I got it stuck when I first got it and I think I stretched it out then, I probably put around 25 hours on it since. I posted a message once about a stretched belt, and I finally decided I was going to run it till it brakes, well it did. I want to make for sure that this is the first and last time I put a belt on this machine, even though I have heard about some belt eating polaris'. I am considering investing in a Top Cog Pro Belt. Will this take care of it? Should I take it to a dealer to make for sure it is tensioned right or is this a fairly easy task? How do I go about taking the clutch off to put on a new belt? Any other recomendations that will help make for sure this doesn't happen again?
Also, I am considering a clutch kit, what would be the way to go when I am still using this machine for some towing. I would appreciate any pros and especially cons to modifying a clutch.
thanks for your time,
Michael Mohrfeld

Old 01-22-2000, 10:26 PM
Range Rover

I just replaced my last belt! Talked with a dealer and he said alot of the atvs from polaris are not aligned right so he hes to check all of them with a special tool. I've been through 5 belts on my 99. The dealer used a special tool to align the clutches and a two rulers to set the deflection. My clucthes where out of alignment now they are fixed, plus the front clutch sheaves where warped bad, so I have a new front clutch assembly. Now my scrambler is screamin with the Roller clutch, aggressive clutch kit, FMF pipe. BTW- has anybody seen the Holeshot rock guards for the Scramblers? They go about 6 inches longer under the front of the atv and cost around $74.00. They look just like the rock guard I got from Polaris for $19.99, ummmmmm

Later, Steve

Old 01-23-2000, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

karter16,

Was the belt worn over the entire length? If that is the case you have a seriously mis-aligned pullys. If it was shredded only where it was broke, you probably roached it when you got it stuck. It really isn't that hard to do. As a matter of fact, a lot of snowmobiles have this happen when the track is frozen. This is why you will see a spare belt and holder on most machines.

------------------
Mike Chero 97 Polaris Sport 400L/ 97 Polaris Trailblazer 250ES

<A HREF="http://users.penn.com/~hal9000/mikeetta.html">MIKE & CELESTE'S ATV PAGE </A>

Old 01-23-2000, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took the cover off after I got it stuck and checked it out, the belt looked to be in good shape. I seemed pretty loose though, I didn't have any thing to compare it to because this was the first time I checked it out. When it came apart all that was left was the outer ring of the belt still intact, but the rest was broken up into pieces smaller than an inch. It seemed like it reved alot more than it should before it would engage, that is why I am assuming it was stretched.

Old 01-24-2000, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just ordered Dayco Belt today, along with a AAEN roller clutch setup. Do I need any special tools to install? How big of a task is it? Also I am wondering, is the clutch going to be worth the money. how much of an improvement is it.