Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Steel or Aluminum wheels ????????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001 | 10:17 AM
|
Trailblazer

I am in the process of buying tires and maybe new wheels for my 2000 Scrambler 400 4x4, I would like to get aluminum wheels because of the weight savings and I think they look muck nicer. I do mostly trail riding and my stock wheels have dents from rocks. My first question is what happens to an aluminum wheel when it hits a rock? Does it dent or crack or worse! I would get .190's if that makes a difference. Does some tires protect the rims better than others? I was going to get 489 XT's for the front (they sound pretty durable), and Bandits for the rear (they look like a pretty good all around trail tire). Thanks for any input on tires or wheels.

Old 08-06-2001 | 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

I have had my itp magnum billet aluminum rims now for about 18 months on my polaris xpedition 425 cc 5 speed. first with 26 inch mudbugs, now with 27 inch mudbugs. My rims are holding up fine. I don't see any obvious dents yet. So I would say, they dont dent to easy. the biggest thing is with these tires. When ever you change rubber, you have to be carefull where you bring these rims and tires as they have to be real carefull not to bend and ruin your rims when they change the tires. Some places, i guess, have special equipment that can handle working with alluminum rims. I went to one place and had my tires changed and they said we can handle them but we don't like to work with alluminum rims.

The biggest trouble I have had with them is that on both of my rear tires. with alluminum rims, my lug bolts keep comming loose. I have even bought and put on tapered aluminum lug bolts. they are suposed to work best with alluminum rims. My fronts stay tight. I have some lock-tight and I probably will have to use it on these rears. I have been reluctant to use it as I always want to be able to get them off when I need to.
rangerchet

Old 08-06-2001 | 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

Cowboy,

I have a set of ITP T-9 Edge rims, with Holeshot XCTs for sale.
I have had them for about a year now. They don't have a ding or dent on them. They are the strongest rims I have ever seen. If you want a really good deal, email me at hetfieldinn@nls.net