Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First ride on sp700, VERY!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001 | 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Have any other Minnesotan’s or Wisconsinites been to the MN stare fair? Well I have and the 700 is there. At first sight it seems impressive. I can’t wait to ride one. As I was sitting on it a gentleman stop by as I was speaking with one of the salesman and dropped a $2500 deposit with only two questions. How much? And when can I get it? He should have it in September sometime I heard.

Regardless this PIG will sell just so someone can say I have the biggest. I for one believe Polaris was caught with their pants down and rushed this one to market though. I can’t wait to see the posts from people who own them.

Old 08-29-2001 | 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Well I hope 800twin has fetched his crayons and written our names down. Teacher's pet! The 700 was too rushed in my opinion and there WILL be problems. There always are. They'll spend the next 4-5 years ?perfecting? it like they did the 500. A good rule of thumb I follow, and Polaris taught me this little $7500.00 lesson, is to stay away from all first year models of anything.

The bright side of this thing is that we all get bombarded with choices when just a few years ago all you could buy was a Honda 300, Kawi 220 or a Banshee.

Old 08-29-2001 | 10:13 AM
Trailblazer

Let's see,rpm limiter when in real 4 wheel drive going forward(just when you really could use that extra power),rpm limiter when in reverse with no override and rear drive shafts that break with real tires sounds like some real competition all right.That was my observation the first time out, I'm sure other promblems will surface.Almost forgot belt gets wet trying to follow a sportsman 500 through deep water(I think backwards engineering maybe).

Old 08-29-2001 | 10:45 AM
Trailblazer

Im amazed anyone on a Polaris would claim that we should buy one because of reliability, I just sold my 2000 Xplorer with 300 miles on it. Swing arm bolt fell out 125 miles, cracked foot board 175 miles, set of brakes 250 miles, swing arm bolt again 309 miles, sold it.
My sons 500 HO Scrambler less than 250 miles, broken bushing front suspension, rear brake failure.
Sure sounds reliable to me----NOT.

Old 08-29-2001 | 11:41 AM
Range Rover

bonzi, what do you do to your atv's?? Do you go give them a whack with the sledge hammer every now and then?? I have a 2000 Sportsman 500 and haven't had a single problem with it. It has almost 3000 miles on it, yes, I do ride in swamps and gravel pits and it does chase quite a few cows around. I don't see how you can have so many problems.

Old 08-29-2001 | 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Scottaboshia,
in defense to Bonzi's post,I also have a 00 Xplorer 400cc 4x4 and NOBODY maintains their quad better than myself.I cant keep this damn thing out of the dealership for repairs and im really getting fed up with it.My 99 Sportsman was the same way.So I dont think its a fair question to ask Bonzi what is he doing to his quad just because you got a good one?It seems that with Polaris,you either get a good one or get a bad one.I've had two bad ones and it has NOTHING to do with how I maintained them.Im allmost certain that my next 4x4 ATV will not be a Polaris.

Bill

Old 08-29-2001 | 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

800single...You did say that they're weeknesses that can't be over come?? I do know you can over ride the reverse to make it spin the tires faster...if you'd want to. Your brand loyalty is plain silly. Don't be blind to the truth. As far as following a Sportsman in the mud, believe it or not, I prefer to <gasp> go around the mud. Anyway, this is too ammusing. OUT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2001 | 03:45 PM
Trailblazer

Scottaboshia.
I'm 60 years old an would be called a putzer on the machine, never had it wide open.
It certinally can't be the machine so it must be the driver is so pathetic.

Old 08-29-2001 | 04:59 PM
Range Rover

Bonzi,
I didn't mean to offend you in any way...sorry. I am just curious as to why mine, along with many other peoples machines are fine but yet there are others that have tons of problems. It doesn't make sense.

Old 08-29-2001 | 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

<< ....I cant keep this damn thing out of the dealership for repairs... >>

(I almost wrote a post like that once. I actually typed it but did not submit it.)

When they are good, they are very very good but when they are bad they are horrid. (and the concentric drive models are better than the 3 chain systems)

There is a definite learning/experience curve required to own and operate a Polaris. For some it is not worth it. For others it is a hobby. Still others trade out as soon as possible. Some people who drive the high and dry flat lands never ever have problems.

Most people quickly learn that the 400 cc engine is not as durable as the old 300 CC two stroke.

Once a 400 has been submerged under water they are never the same. The carbs will rust and gum the choke circuit and hydraulic locking of the combustion chamber changes the way that they will sound for the rest of their serviceable life.

At 1500 miles 400 carbs start on the slippery slope toward a rebuild as do the chains, sprockets and sometimes the front struts and swing arm bushings. Some people I know with 400s trade them every year to rid themselves of the labor of love required to keep them rocking.

Big air is to be avoided on all Polaris swing arm machines especially the chain drive ones. Because the concentric drive system is not truly concentric.

IRS is really nice but there is a price to pay here also. CV joints, torn boots, axle assemblies, seals, etc. Some are trouble free and some do not have the luck of the Irish.

The Polaris shaft ride models are the most durable from what I have seen.

I could go on but what is the point? Some people like Hondas. My brother in law has a Honda 450S. He is not a wrench and it is the perfect machine for him. Never in the shop. But... a 47 mile ride is a major event for him and a nap is required after a back rub and some aspirin at the end of the day.

Did you ever notice that the owners of Warriors, Honda X machines and Banshee owners never complain about chains, sprockets or swing arm failures? They accept it as a fact of life unlike us Polaris owners.

Why are Polaris owners so sensitive lately? Because they have been listening to the Rubicon, Kawasaki 650, and now Grizzly bravado and bragadoccio for so long that they are becoming mentally weary over it.

Now Polaris introduces the 700 Twin and only 4 people have ridden it (owners of other brands) and the bashing begins again before anybody actually has one of these things on the trail.

So if a Grizzly can't pull a weight sled, so what? It is not issued one as standard equipment. If the Kawi 650 does great holeshots and has an excellent powerband that's great. If it looses a race to Grizzly on blacktop at 65 mph who cares? If the Sportsman 700 does not wheely and pulls out of the hole at a moderate rate before the power comes on, so what? Maybe it was deliberately designed that way like it's portly cousin the Quest that can't haul a weight sled either but can &quot;haul the mail&quot; stretching rider arms in the midrange and up.

There is no 100% do it all ATV.

Apples, oranges, (bowling *****) how do you want to compare these things.

Sorry for being so wordy, but anyway... my dog is better than your dog. LOL

Quick Reply: First ride on sp700, VERY!!!!