Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Xplorer 250 4x4 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2001, 11:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any thoughts on this bike? Can trailblazer performance parts fit it? Looking for somthing to trail ride and hunt on. What performance upgrades would you add?

Old 09-26-2001, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

The Xplorer 250 is a great little bike. For the money you can't beat it. The engine is very reliable, and makes decent power compared to others in its class.
Almost everything that can be done to the Trail Blazers engine can be done to this one too. Pipes, clutch kits, ect, all work with it. RCR, HPD, Hot Seat, and a few more companies make tons of mods for this engine.
If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the Xplorer 250 before I bought my Blazer, basically for the 4x4 and better coverage fenders.

Old 09-26-2001, 01:31 PM
Range Rover

We have been happy with these machines. Both are stock, but as Lurch77 said they make good power for the size of the engines. I think it is a great value for the money.

Old 09-26-2001, 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

You might want to call the folks at www.sportsmancycles.com (I am not associated with them in any way). Looks like they purchased (8) new 250 4x4's from a Polaris dealer that went out of business so you may be able to pick up one cheap. There's an auction for these units on ebay going on.

Kurt

Old 09-26-2001, 03:27 PM
Trailblazer

Great machine had one for 8 months, it was a flawless running machine, the 250 is quite smooth and it will keep up with any 350-400 CC 4 stroke. I imagine a TB pipe and clutch kit would make this a screaming 4x4 for sure. I thought the front tires were two small (23 inch) for serious mudding, but that is any easy fix. I hope they update the plastic like they did on the Trail Boss. All in all besides my Sportsman it ws my second favorite atv that I ever owned.

Old 09-26-2001, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Pathfinder95,

I just noticed in your profile that you are from Caribou. Every year we make a trip to your neck of the woods to visit relatives for a week or so - it sure is beautiful. My cousin recently purchased a vacation house on Long Lake, where we spent some of this last summer. One of the things we noticed and liked the most is that people in that area seem to enjoy the outdoors more than they do in CT - and they sure are a lot more friendly. We've decided the first opportunity we get, we are moving into your area.

I don't know if you ever visited CT, but here (if you have an ATV) you are viewed as a troublemaker (something like the "easy rider" days of the 60's) and since they are pretty much illegal to use, a criminal. Up there, so many people have them and enjoy them no one gives you a second look (from what I've seen).

My 68 year-old uncle and his wife belong to the ATV club in Van Buren. They have a ball with it. He gave my 71 year old mother a ride this past year, and she had a good time - we even have pictures! Something she couldn't/wouldn't do in CT without getting the "stink eye".

We're ready to give up the corporate life for the "living" life. I know of the "grass is always greener..." saying, but your grass is definitely greener.

Kurt

Old 10-01-2001, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer

KrKarcher,

I would not do any business with sportsmancycles. Jerry and Karen Carter are the Owners of the company. There company used to be called motorcyclemania.com and they are out of business now. I bought my Explorer from them over the Internet and got a good deal on it. $3000 for a 96 Explorer 400 4X4 with only 400 miles on it. The problem was that when I got the Explorer shipped to me it was obvious that there was well more than 400 miles on it. To make it that much worse they didn't even bother to tighten up the Speedo/odometer all the way so on my first ride it wiggled loose and I knew what had happened at that point. I have had a lot of small issues with the bike that could have been avoided with regular maintenance. Fortunately the only major repair that I have had to do is replace both of the clutch plates ($500). I would not recommend them.

Old 10-03-2001, 09:33 PM
Trailblazer

Hi
I have owned an my xplorer for about a year now with over 500 trouble free miles ..It has been a great quad for me .. As for hunting leave it stock as a rock you want be happier. And if you want to modify it Try going with Rcr ..YOu can just change your pipe back when you want to sneak through the woods.. I think you would be very well please for the money .