Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bad Belt Or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Have A 99 TB And When Ever You Come To The Bottom Of A Hill And Gas It Real Quick it Makes A Slipping Noise. Would That Be The Belt Or Not? It Only Does It When You Put It In A Bind And Gas It Real Hard. Thanks For Any Help.

Old 10-05-2001, 07:19 AM
Pro Rider

If it is a slipping noise than, yes it would have to be the belt. Their is nothing else that could "slip". Are you sure it is a slipping noise or are saying that because your engine just revs up alot before you start to go. I've only ever experienced belt slip, 2 times. Once because I was playing with my clutching and didn't have enough secondary side pressure. The other time was due to a hurricane type storm we had that actually blew rain right down my clutch vents. Both of these times it made a noise that I can best describe as a "moaning" kind of sound.

To know if your belt is worn out, you have to measure it with dial calipers. A new belt measures (1.188&quot wide. A worn out belt measures (1.125&quot or less. If your belt is glazed, this could also be letting it slip. This happens when the belt gets really hot. If this is the case, I've actually taken a piece of sand paper(180 grit) and scuffed it back up, washed it and put it back in.

If you've never replaced the belt, I would just recommend getting a new one. If you run this quad hard in any way, I would replace it about once a year. Ideally though, if your not having any problems with the belt then keep running it. As a belt wears you will notice a slight increase in your engagement rpms.

Old 10-05-2001, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

Is this just after going downhill? If so, don't worry about it. If it is from a level area, to try to climb a hill, it shouldn't do that. Also, sometimes in that type of situation the belt can hit the cover, making a scraping noise.

Old 10-05-2001, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer

It could be the belt, but also can be the clutch's, you didn't say how many miles on the machine, check belt deflection by trying to spin the belt thru the clutch's, if you can the belt is way to loose, check the primary faces for groving at the bottom, also the springs can sag and loose their tension, check the buttons on the secondary, my kids were broke and he blew a belt, only 300 miles.

Old 10-05-2001, 08:33 PM
Trailblazer

It Does It Only When I Put Pressure On It And If I Look Back At The Tires When It Does They Dont Seem To Be Spinning. Would It Be The Belt Or Something Else With The Clutches? Thanks In Advance.