Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500ho low and highbeams being seperate??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 02:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm finding it strange that when you turn the high beams on, the other two low beam lights go off. what would be the disadvantage with all three running in high beam mode? want to see close and far still? can this be changed or is there a reason for it that i'm not seeing? thanks.

Old 10-10-2001, 06:38 AM
Pro Rider

This is how I did mine.
I think it came from deej

<< : Remove the front rack (4 screws) and pop the hood off. Locate the solid green and yellow wires coming down the handlebars from the headlight switch. Strip a short portion of each wire (1/4&quot. Attach two diodes side by side between the two wires, with the cathode (line on the diode) end of the diodes towards the green wire. Solder the connections and tape up (or better yet seal with silicone) the bare connections. The post I got the information from suggested a heavy diode. I agree, to a point. The current that flows through this diode feeds 60w. At 12V this means 5 amps flow though the diode. Therefore you need at least one 5 amp diode. I used two 3amp Schottky Barrier diodes in parallel (side by side). This is the equivalent of a single 6 amp diode. The diodes I used were part number 1N5822T. They cost 47 cents each. They should be readily available at any electronics supply store or radio Shack. With this arrangement the low position on the switch gives you the two lower lights (as it always did). The high position on the switch gives you all 3 lights at the same time. >>

works great ,but the guys in front of you always whine it being too bright,so they tell you to get up front.....................
then they whine about the roost throwing dirt and rocks at them.

You can please some of the people some of the times ...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-10-2001, 09:08 AM
Trailblazer

I don't know how the 99 through 2002 work but I can put my light switch between high and low and both hi and low work together. You might not be able to do that but I know I can with my 98. Try it if you like. A dealer once told me about this. He did not say if the switch was rated for this or if it could cause some problems with the wiring. All I know is I can use either Hi or Low at the same time without hurting anything. The longest I have done this is about 20min. to be on the safe side Check with your dealer about what could be effected by doing this.

Old 10-10-2001, 09:38 PM
Range Rover

How are the lights supposed to work? I bought mine used and when I turn it to low, all three lights are on. When i click high, same thing, all three lights are on. The bike is at the dealer and I asked him to look at them as my low beams don't appear to be working. Now I am beginning to wonder (or realize) the previous owner must have wired the lights to intentionally do this. Although the wiring instructions above suggest they should work a little differently with low being bottom two, high being all three.

Again, from the factory, how are they supposed to work? Have mine been modified, like everything else on my bike?

Old 10-11-2001, 06:51 AM
Pro Rider

From the factory=Low is bottem, high is top.
Yes they were modded,but when your low is on it should be low
only,then when the high is on it would be all 3