Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP 700, Prairie 650 or 660 Grizz??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got alittle carried away on $400 for the tires and rims. But what I really ment is for $400 more you get better tires and rims, Rack ext, third light, larger radiator and steel skid plates. Plus having these extras also adds to the weight. That's the point I was trying to get across, that if you want extra's , you have to pay for them. Just like a truck, if you want the off-road package,you pay more.

Old 11-24-2001, 03:46 AM
Pro Rider

500SCR, You may not like the Kawasaki Prairie, and that is your buisness, but it has the most sophisticated and best brakes of any ATV currently available according to Dirtwheels magazine. It has dual piston calipers on each front disc brake (most if not all others have single pistons) and they are hydraulically actuated. The rear brake is actually a wet clutch pack that is built inside the rear swingarm and so will last indefinitely and is impervious to the elements. It is operated by a cable because the only thing exposed is the arm that is pulled to apply the brake (squeezing the discs together), so there is no need for a hydraulic line. The front differential locker is also a built-in wet clutch pack that only requires a cable to pull its lever, and is the only design that you have full control over at any speed. The farther you pull the lever, the more the locking effect, which is good because it is very hard to steer a fully locked front end, so you can let it off as needed. The lever may take some getting used to. The complaint with the Grizzlie's push button design is that it is either full on or off, and only works in low range at slow speed. I haven't yet read of anyone having a problem with the locker or the brakes on a Prairie. Don't condemn it for using cables where they make perfect sense. It is designed very well and the cables are not a problem. Most ATVs have cable operated rear drum or disc brakes that work fine. Besides, if the rear brake cable did fail, the hydraulically actuated front brakes are good enough to handle the machine just fine. Read the October issue of Dirtwheels---they couldn't say enough good things about the Prairie's brakes. Take one for a ride and try them. It stops on a dime!

Old 11-24-2001, 10:47 AM
Range Rover

JSCYoung, like you said, this is my opinion and thats all it is. I am not knocking the Prairie. I say this only because it is how I feel. To me, a cable that thin is going to stretch and it will always stretch when you need it the most. Other than the cables, I think the Prairie is great. I'm not brand loyal so don't think I am saying this because I now ride a Polaris. I have owned Honda, Yamaha, and now Polaris. If the Prairie fits your needs or you like how it is built then that is great. I don't judge people by what they ride nor do I condem them. And yes I have ridden the Prairie as well as the Grizzly and the Sportsman.

Scott [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-24-2001, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

Well, i see the topic is getting off to a read debated start! So i will put in my 2 cents, from the way I see it. The sportsman is real heavy, but race it on the grizzly or prarie, and it'll keep right up, or pass! The tires are, in my opinion, the best stock in all classes. The prarie is real fast, but it too has some flaws, like no independant suspencion, and alot of cables, as well as a front suspencion adjustment issue. the grizzly is not the fastest, nor the biggest bore engine. I will say this though, i have dragged mine across the rocks, and other stuff, and havent even flexed my floorboards, so weak isn't an issue. I dont think i could break them if i tried real hard too. I chose the grizzly do to all it does offer, not what it didn't! My good friend is going in a week to buy the new sportsman, couse it is all he wants, and thinks its the best. Well, here goes! None of them are the best, and none of them are the worst either. It is all what you want now aint it? If i were going on rather smooth roads, or hill climbing, the prarie would be it. If I were going mud bogging, and working it alot, and open trail riding, the sportsman would be my choise. But I go through it all, and love to go fast, but also love to mud bogg, climb rocks, and all the off camber stuff, so the grizzly was it for me. In my opinion, I found it to offer it all, just not as good as some in 1 class, or another. But to own any of these badass sport utes would be a joy we all can be happy for! Good luck with all yours, as I hope you wish me too.

Old 11-24-2001, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

I own an 02' grizz and have had the oportunity to ride a 700 sportsman, I also own A 500 sportsman. Here is what I thought about the three. I didn't give the the kawi much of a look because of the solid rear axle and it was a kawi. Yamaha has always been one of my favorites until I rode the sportsman 500 with its IRS I have been hooked on IRS ever since. The 700 twin was disapointing to me because it still had the lag my 500 sp had befor I put the clutch kit on it. The grizz definantly feels a lot stronger in the power department than the sp 700. the clutch kit I used to get rid of the lag in my sp500 did take off some top end so I felt that if that was the case with the sp700 it could end up being 5- 10 mph slower than the grizz and kawi. the grizz in my opinion was the most comfortable ride I have ever owned. The gizz had much lighter turning effort than my sp500 or the sp700 that I test road. I think rawhide tires maybe great for some people but I prefer the tracker p's, the 500sp's use, the ultra heavy compound of the rawhide tires on the sp700 seem to result in in the much harsher ride quality I noticed in the 700. All in all if Yamaha had not come out with the 660 grizz with IRS I would have bought a sp700 and started adding the same mods I used on my sp500 to get it the way I wanted it. If none of these new bad boys had came out I would probably still be happy with my sp500.

well that is my 2 cents, I hope that helps you