Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How many 400 2-stroke Explorer owners?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a '99 Xplorer and, like everyone else here, love it. I really like the fact that the beastly two-stroke engine has enough power to keep up with sport quads of slightly lesser engine size (I.E., Yamaha Warrior...), but yet I still have the power and ground clearance to go banging through the woods and not worry about scraping on everything that sticks up a few inches. I've had next to nothing for problems. I've replaced a belt, a few spark plugs, changed the stock blue-green primary clutch spring to a white, and added a K&N filter. It's got some 1800 miles on it with absolutely no engine problems whatsoever, aside from the air filter, but I wouldn't really call that a problem.
On another note, has anyone raced any of the new big-bore 4-strokes? I'm really curious to see how well our snappy little 2-strokes will fair against them...

Old 12-01-2001, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Campy,
I drag raced my friend Jeffs new 660 Grizz.I have a few mods and from a stand still,he was 5 quads ahead of me right from the word GO to 50mph.After 50,he did'nt leave me and I could not gain on him.

I know that my huge 26 inch MudRunners are taking away some power vs his stock tires.He said he is going to buy some 26s for his Grizz.I will re-race him again and see what happens?

Bill

00 Xplorer 4x4 400cc
26 inch Goodyear Mudrunners on all 4 corners
Modified PSI pipe w/Scrambler silencer
RcR airbox Mods
KN-Uni filters
Heel Clickers clutch kit
Delta V-Force reeds w/spacer kit
GPS and more!

Old 12-01-2001, 07:33 PM
Range Rover

Have 4700 miles on hard miles on mine except when i am hunting with it.I love playing in the mud and snow and pretty much drive it like a sport quad.Like i mention in another post the expession on people's face when they see a 700 pds quad wheelie bye them is priceless.

My problems so far are

New chain & Sprokets
Rear swingarm bushing's(powerslides)
3 belts (2 were burnt out(daughter & myself)Not the bikes fault
2 sparks
Tie rod ends
F&R brake pads

I going to do an engine job soon,and will put in a wisco.(Is it worth it?)
Might have forgot something but don't think so.

Leave it pretty much stock and you won't have to many problems.

I have already asked this before but didn't try it that time and have forgot.

I want to take out the front plug on the muffler and am wondering to what size i should jet it this winter.We ride in 0 to -30 weather and are always getting ourself stuck in the snow(you have to try hard though)

Also i would like to plane the head and put on a headpipe is it worth it or am i just looking for trouble.

Old 12-02-2001, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Steve,

It's nice to know that I'm not the only person out there who enjoys torturing their ATV by getting it stuck in really deep snow. We had lots of snow last year (nearly 2 feet from one storm, and it was all powder, which meant lots and lots of getting stuck), and I had my Xplorer out there all the time jumping the snow banks into 3+ feet of snow, and it was an absolute blast.
I remember one time, my brother was out riding towards the end of winter, and the snow was getting pretty packed down in some places, but he managed to find the largest drift in the field, it was at least 5 feet high, and he sunk right down into it. Looking out at the 4-wheeler from my house, all you could see were the handlebars sticking up out of the snow. It took us a good lot of shovelling, plus all three of our snowmobiles (had to get friends over to drive them) to pull that thing out...

As for the jetting, what I did last year was just adjust the air screw until it ran properly in the low temps, and just left it like that. I checked the plug a few times and it was fine. As the temps warmed back up, I gradually returned it to it's original position.

Old 12-02-2001, 02:21 PM
Trailblazer

Yo, I have a 99xplor 400 with just about 2,000 miles on it. So far all that I have replaced is chain/sprocket, brakes,and the needle spine. I love to go mudding and would recommend this machine to any mud fanatic.

99 Xplor 400
Warn 2000
Titan 589's
Green Primary
K&N Air
Dynoport Pipe
AirBox Mod

Old 12-02-2001, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer

you guys need to rejet going to the unifilter. this unit will make your bike overly rich. we have tried it the explorer and scrambler with the same results . this filter is more restrictive and will slow your bike. i will say it protects the engine better.

Old 12-02-2001, 05:54 PM
Range Rover

i have the uni filter on my 99 400 xplorer and i dont like it at all/it is very hard to get it to seal at the bottom .im switching to k+n..i have a hpd pipe that will fit the 99 xplorer that i got from ritter.i would like to sell it to one of you guys.it is just too loud for my taste..make a offer..

Old 12-02-2001, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Boneylong,
Call Rick Ritter up and ask him to send you a stock Scrambler silencer.He has them used for 45 bucks.Make your own mounting brackets and install this on the end of the performance pipe.It will quite you right down without robbing performance.

Bill

Old 12-02-2001, 07:40 PM
Range Rover

i did that and it is still too loud...i like it quite!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2001, 07:45 PM
Range Rover

i also have a complete non ebs clutch kit for sale if anyone needs it.the complete primary and secondary clutches with a belt.has 200 miles on it.make offer..this is for a 400 xplorer/

Quick Reply: How many 400 2-stroke Explorer owners?