Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

heel clicker clutch kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone tried the new supertorquer heel clicker clutch kit for scrambler 400?do you need to notch the primary?what about belt slipping,is it improved,thanks.

Old 12-12-2001, 11:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I allready had the Hot Seat clutch kit in my 00 400cc Xplorer and my Polaris mechanic told me about how much more performance I'd have with the HC kit.What a WASTE of 185 bucks,and another 130 for installation.

There is very LITTLE gain,if ANY over the HS kit.And now my engagement speed is thru the roof,as I lost my low end with this HC kit.So we had to use a stiffer Primary to regain my low end.Thing is,now I have to use the reverse override button when plowing snow,or the quad wont even start to engage.They can BRAG all they want about this kit,however,im NOT sold on it!

Bill

Old 12-13-2001, 12:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Heel clicker=trouble.....here ends the lesson.

Ken

Old 12-13-2001, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

Heel Clickers are for those that understand continuously variable transmissions. They are very adjustable and tunable and do exactly what they advertise....IF you want to take the time and trouble to tune them. Adding weight to the heel will lower engagment, adding to the tip will increase engagment. Changes to a drive clutch must be balanced with changes to the driven clutch. I've spent many hours tuning Supertorquer products over the years for snowmobiles and have had excellent success.

Old 12-14-2001, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Dave is correct.

I don't know how much they have changed the HC's for atv's, but I used the original sled kit 2 years ago when they first came out for sleds and made modfications to my existing drive clutch and clutch housing to accommodate. It does help performance in that I'm now running 58.6 gr. weights engaging at a wonderfully low 1,800 and still shifting out at 7,000, tailing to 7,200 on top end. I'm of the opinion that the heaviest flyweight you can run without bogging off the line, the quicker you will accelerate.

These HC's certainly do help you have a much wider and usable power band than the usual sled type high engagement kits that really detract from atv performance. The only thing the high rpm engagement clutch setups do is give you the "perception" that it is launching really fast, wild and hard. It is wild and hard, but not necessarily quick. In reality it is not when measured by the clock. It's more of a seat of the pants affect that is suposed to make your brain "think" you are launching hard and wild, and will justify that the $$$ spent was well worth it because it much harder to control on launch. They do just that.

The low to mid range acceleration with HC's is what I noticed to be better. It obviously grips the belt better creating more efficiency and getting more power to the rubber.

It takes lots of time and patience to get one set up to perform properly. Unless you have modified about everything else on an atv, there is no sense in doing it for normal trail riding. We did it just as an experiment to see if it would even work. It does.

Trader Jack
www.godigital-design.com/schultzmotorsports

Old 12-14-2001, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

I have the HC kit.
Not Installed due to a belt problem I wanted to make sure was fix'ed

Besides the weights,
it has a spring
and a brass sleeve to replace the plastic one
and some different weight screws.
Randy said it's ready for the 500HO so no need to change screw weights
Thats about it for $180???????????????????/

I dont know

Old 12-19-2001, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer

i've used heavy hitters and heel clickers clutch kit in the past on snowmobiles,i didn't see not much trouble tuning the scrambler powerband wich is smaller than any sleds out here...
i'm sure the clutch effiency will be greatly improved,let see...