Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Should I disable my oil injection?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 09:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering disabling my oil injection system. I am a little bit concerned about the reliability of the system.I am running in quite cold weather now and a tiny piece of ice in the oil line could destroy the engine.I want to know should I do it or are the systems "bullet proof" on the 300 2 strokes? It is basically the same engine as the Trailblazer just its a 300 instead of a 250.If I do disable it what mix should I use 50 to 1? And also is there a lot more exhaust smoke while trail riding if I premix?I know the injection is only 100 to 1 at idle so I am concerned if I premix it I will smoke out all my buddies in the trails?

Old 01-03-2002, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own a 96 trailblazer and I did away with the the auto mix. I mix it at about 50 to 1 and it does smoke a little more but not too bad. I got a cover from a 500 scrambler to replace the old one with the hole. ---the old oil holder was easy to take out. I also trimmed my plastics, milled the head 20 thou. had the jug ported and polished added a pipe, did away with the air box and ran a unifilter. disconnected the reverse override and used that button for a hidden back up light. and since i had no headlight because of replacing the nose plastic, i hooked up a couple of 100 w. offroad lights via relay.----------sorry , I get a little carried away. I just love my polaris.........I also just bought the metallic blue & yellow special edition scrambler 400 4x4. (polaris fan)

Old 01-04-2002, 07:11 AM
Pro Rider

I have 5200 miles on my Xplorer, and never had any troubles with my oil injector so far. I have never heard of the line freezing, but have heard of a couple occasions where a stick or something caught the oil line & tore it loose. Might not be a bad idea, if you ride through a lot of brush & stuff, if mixing fuel isn't a problem for you, if you ride where this could be a problem.

Old 01-04-2002, 07:40 AM
Pro Rider

I have thought about this too. After alot of careful consideration I decided against it. The oil injection system delivers the right amount of oil at what speed your engine is turning. Also, the 300 engine dumps the oil straight into the bottom end of our motors. To me this seems very benefitial because our motors are getting a better shot of just oil instead of a washed out premix oil. Our system is different than any of the other Polaris two stroke machines. The only oil line we have to worry about is the main oil line coming down from the tank. It is pretty well protected on my machine, I'm not so sure how it is run on your older machine.

Indeed the only thing that does suck about the oil injection is if it does quit working, you never really know until it is to late. Fortunately this doesn't happen very often. I decided to take my chances. Besides, I go on some pretty long rides sometimes and its nice to be able to pull into a gas station and fill my gas tank up again and not have to worry about premixing. For me this would take away some of the fun of my machine. I hate to make pre-mix when I want to do some riding.

To each their own.

Old 01-04-2002, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

sparkys,

The thing I like about the oul injection is the fact that it is MECHANICAL, not electric. It is gear driven off the motor. I still have the oil injection on my Trailblazer, but not my Sport. For some reason, the injector on my Sport didn't like me going to a larger carb (38mm Mikuni TMX at the time). However, the Trailblazer didn't seem to mind the 34mm carb I swapped for the old 30mm. Probably because they were basically the same carb (except one was bigger), both were the round slide VMs.

Old 01-04-2002, 04:20 PM
Range Rover

Mike Chero
How did you know your 400 oil injection didn't like the new carb without engine damage? Could it have been jetting?

I am about to upgrade my stock carb to a 39mm flat side carb on my 400 Scrambler. Do you think there may be a problem? Geez I hope not.

Chunky

Old 01-05-2002, 07:28 AM
Pro Rider

Chunky 5678,

No, it was the opposite. There was too much oil coming in from the injector, causing my plugs to foul every time I rode slow. I adjusted the throttle cable like the carb kit said, but it was still too much oil. It was a genuine pain in the backside to get to anyway, so I removed it.

I really don't know if there would be a problem on the 39mm carb, I just know that the 38mm TMX was just different enough to make it run a little extra rich.

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2002, 08:02 AM
Trailblazer

Sparkys
Only if your quad is modified to the point where you can't use the injector, Only then would I remove it.
If your worried about ice,
I think my XP700 riding in Canada At -25 deg F. is a good enough test for me and I've never seen ICE or lack of oil and I do it every year.
The oil delivery system you have is "bullet Poof" It's gear driven so if the motor is turning so is the pump, Just keep the oil bottle full.

Old 01-05-2002, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

After my stock piston gave out on me I naturally had the engine torn apart and found that it appeared water was getting into my oil line. Don't know if it was getting in thru the oil pump but the oil in the tank was dark blue and what was coming out at the carb was milky looking. When I rebuilt with the new piston I switched to pre-mix. The oil injecton is just a convenience but it's one I can live without. I feel more at ease knowing that what is going into my carb is mixed in the right proportion and not contaminated with water or anything.