Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 wins ATV of the YEar

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 08:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i looked at ATV Magazine's buyers guild and reviewed the Sport+300 class ATVs. the prices seem to be around 5-7 grand. i think the cannondale model speed440-$8000, blaze440-$10500,and moto440-$12500 are WAY OVERPRICED concidering they are the new-guy in the ATV world! to hear that the machines are braking down and the factory isn't there for support, reassures me that i don't want one. i think that overpriced, unreliable cannondale MIGHT be worth LESS than a Honda 400EX three years down the road. that would be one hell of a depreciation!
MT

Old 01-26-2002, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

Cannondales are not unreliable. Plus, when a part needs to be updated, they update them and give them to the customers at no charge. By the way, the cannibal does NOT cost $12500, its the cheapest model they make.

Old 01-26-2002, 09:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Why are we comparing sport quads to utility quads? Different people need different quads. One of my riding companions went from a Foreman 450 to a Raptor to a grizz 660. I'm still riding my Xplorer 400. The best match so far is the Grizz. Sure the Raptor was incredibly fast, but not enough ground clearance for the particular terrain we ride on. The Foreman, well it's a tried and true utility tank. It's unstopable in mud and deep water etc. The Grizz is the first quad I haven't been able to shake off my back. It's packing almost 300 more cc's than mine. My 96 Xplorer is now 6 years old, with many hard miles on it and if I were to update my quad I would do so with another Xplorer 400. I have never seen an article about the 400 Xplorer, but who cares what the magazines say anyway? Back to comparing the quads, you can't carepare a Corvette with truck, so why compare sport quads with utility quads?

Old 01-26-2002, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

mtpockets, exactly where are you getting your information? Not once has Cannondale let any of their customers down w/o customer service. Im sorry bud, but you're 100% wrong.

Stew, not one person in this post has compared a sport quad to a utility quad. We are debating on which quad should be voted ATV of the Year. ATV of the year is a prize given to any product conceived in this industry.

Old 01-26-2002, 04:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

lonstarbanshee,
Re:
p1-ProXScrambler 'blew motor....making nasty noises'
p1-Kawi250 'dealer stopped selling them...problems'
p2-YoDaddy's comment
p2-Cartman308's comment
i hope these guys arn't just making this stuff up!
i like the look and features Cannondale offers......i don't like reading about motor problems and dealers dropping the franchise though. i'm also concerned about the pricing being in the $8-12 GRAND bracket. it just seems to high for the market- which is $5-7 grand for a decent new sport ATV.
i'm not bashing, just commenting on what i've read so far.
sincerely,
MT

Old 01-26-2002, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

mtpockets, I'm not saying ProXScrambler is lying, but you don't know what the rider of the C-Dales put them through. Like I stated before, the engine probably blew up because Cannondale puts a break-in oil into the quad, that is meant to run 1 hour, and 1 hour only. Any time over 1 hour, and you're risking your engine.

The only problems that I've heard from Cannondale are the spindles, and the chain slider. Both are being taken care of by Cannondale.

YoDaddy's comment? The flywheel was fixed by the company. Not a problem anymore.

I have yet to find a comment from cartman308 that wasn't a praise.

I also take it that you're not into the ATV Racing scene. The Pro class ATV's cost upwards of $15,000 these days. The top grade C-Dales are actually a deal for the serious racer.

Old 01-26-2002, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Mtpockets, I was kind of wondering what comment I made to say that C-dales aren't reliable. Another thing, take a Cannibal and fix it up like a Moto 440 and you'll be paying around $15,000. The only reason I can't get it is because I can't afford to pay that total amount all at once. I also like to give my quad a little "custom fit". In no way is the c-dale unreliable. Like I said before, don't mistake UNPROVEN RELIABILITY with UNRELIABLE.

Old 01-26-2002, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

I have a hard time seeing where you are coming from when you say the C-Dale should win. Sure it's a great quad, but it is one of the most expensive and one that hardly anyone will buy. One, like it was said earlier, there are not many high performance sport quads sold. Another reason, who is going to spend that kind of money on a quad, not many people. I abuse my quads to no end, give me any sport quad and I will have it totaled in an hour, and that's just normal riding. That's why I like the Sportsman 700 soo much. They built this machine to take abuse. And the inline twin produces lots of torque, and they are rated to tow the most. And the fact that the 650 does not come with a hitch and the plastic is so thin, I would have it torn off in no time. And what are utility quads for, WORK!! I don't buy a utility quad to race on the track, or got 70mph down the trail. I buy it to work, and that's what the 700 was designed to do, work, and go anywhere. Polaris has been one of the most copied manufactors, witht the IRS, automatic transmision, full floorboards, and all the bells and wistles. And just now are the other companys starting to catch up, and now Polaris has raised the bar even more.
And I disagree with whoever said the 650 will produce more power when modded. The 700 motor is originally a 800. So lets say you want to bore the 650 out, ok, so you can make it a 750(estimated) the Polaris can go well over 800cc's. LIke someone said earlier 90hp before it was detuned. And I don't know why people think it is so hard to steer, I have had no trouble with it and think it steers as good as any quad.
That's why I think the 700 should recieve ATV of the year.
But the thing is, this is a good problem to have, not being able to figure out which quad is best, because all the company's are making such great quads, it's hard to pick one, and I bet you would be happy with any quad.

Bryson Lawhorn
Ohio

Old 01-26-2002, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

My dealer stopped selling them last year. They barely started selling them and most of the first production FX400's had problems, which were the ones they were selling. Cannondale DID back those customers by the way.

Old 01-26-2002, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

Polarisman3210, I'm probably going to sound like a real jerk when I say what I'm about to, but I'm trying to put this so everyone can understand. I own 2 Polaris myself, so I'm not putting them down, believe me.

Just exactly what does the Sportsman 700 bring to the ATV industry? The biggest motor; Which most of the people that are in the utility market will never use? For all you people with 500's, what have you hooked up to something that it would not pull? When have you driven down a trail where you had the throttle pegged out? If the 700 is an improvment on the 500, WHY would you need it? The next thing it wins: Heaviest Quad Award? It's not a lie that the Sportsman 500 wasn't the best handling quad, and with the 700 being heavier, it is probably worse.

What does Cannondale bring to the ATV industry? Well, I'll let you guys figure it out for yourself.

Please understand that I'm not trying to start a bashing session. This has been a great post so far, and let's try to keep it that way.

Quick Reply: 700 wins ATV of the YEar