Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Reverse AWD Override Accomplished !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 05:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just accomplished the reverse and AWD override on my 2002 Sportsman 500 HO ! It was actually quite easy. I'm not the best teacher in the world, but here goes. I did all of the cutting/connecting under the front hood after removing the front rack, so the cutting and attatching can't be seen, also to follow some wires, I took the headlight pod loose and let it kind of rest to the side. First, find the gray wire w/ a orange stripe that comes out of the override, headlight, etc. switch box on the handle bars. Follow it down the handlebars, under the headlight pod, to where it comes out under the hood that you removed. It's hard to follow, but it should be the only one of that color down there. Now just cut it and tape up both ends. This is all it takes to disable the Reverse override. Next, find the gray w/ white stripe wire that comes out of the AWD box on the handlebar. Again, follow it to the area where the hood usually covers. It's also hard to trace, but again should be the only one of that color down there. Cut it in two, and attach it to a wire that has power "on" when the switch is on. I can't remember which end of the wire you splice to a current, but I found the right end w/ trial and error. I spliced mine into the wire that goes to the lighter socket on the headlight pod, but anything that has power when the switch is on will do. Just turn on the switch, put the trans. in reverse, and turn on the AWD switch. Then try one end of the wire to a powered wire, and see if the AWD switch lights up, if not, try the other end of the cut wire. Once I found the right wires, it only took me about 10 min. I tried it out, it works!! No more override button when backing up a 2 degree incline, and no more overide button when needing AWD in reverse !! If anyone has any trouble with these directions, let me know, and I'll try to clarify the hazy spots. Now, does anyone know how to get all 3 headlights on w/ high beam, w/o buying a $25 kit. If this override can be done this easily and quickly, I'm sure the headlights are just as easy !!

Andy S.

Old 01-23-2002, 08:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Job!!..........thanks for the instructions...........