Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ban ATVs? Who is this little.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent this off to Mr. Shields

Mr.Shields this is in reply to your commentary regarding the expansion of All Terrain Vehicle Trails. I am one of the "group of ATV enthusiasts" that have been working so very hard to gain access to riding areas in our state. As with any argument there are a certain number of truths that can be found. At the same time there are a number of points made in all arguments that are far to wide ranging and one fact or statement cannot be applied to a group. In any group activity or activity that is enjoyed by many there will certainly be those that do not reflect the majority. I am an avid fisherman and outdoorsman, in fact I am a patron of the business you associate with through this web site. I would hope that an individual that stumbles across a fisherman leaving his trash lay or guzzling beer by the lakeside does not also associate that same image with me. It is my opinion that in your belief I am an irresponsible person with a disregard for nature. This could not be farther from the truth. I would like to take this opportunity to make a few counterpoints to your post.

If the accident you witnessed had involved a person on a bicycle, skateboard, snowmobile any wheeled vehicle or automobile in fact would you "wish to take your family to a place where any of the aforementioned wheeled vehicles are used"? What if you are on a trail and a horse or mountain biker comes around the trail at a gallop or riding very fast. " Elderly people and kids can't move fast enough to get out of the way, and if the rider loses control it may not matter which way you jump out of the way." There are those who will read this last statement and say "thats unlikely," the same remark any responsible ATV rider would say.

You state ATVs cause environmental problems. This can be true. It does not need to be true. There are many ATV rides throughout the year that are conducted as either fundraisers or for simple enjoyment. Along with these rides are many hours of trail maintenance to keep this from happening. I belong to 2 different ATV clubs both of which maintain their riding areas to prevent environmental problems. I would suggest a trip to Allegheny National Forest, this is an area that sees thousands of ATVers, Mountainbikers, Hikers, Snowmobilers and Horses each year.

"Noise is the objection that most of us have to ATV use" was one of your points. There are those who ride ATVs that chose to modify their ATV in a manner that does increase the decibels or "noise" of the machine. Of those that do this there will be a number of them that ride in legally approved areas. There will also be those that regardless of the law will ride without concern of others. I am not included in that group. Just as you probably do not want included with those outdoorsman that do not respect the terrain they are using on any given day.

"Most campgrounds have noise restrictions and/or quiet hours." I camp more than any one individual I know. I truly appreciate the peace and quiet of the outdoors. I do not know a single individual that would take their ATV to a campground that does not allow ATVs. When I do go on a ATVing/camping trip I like the majority follow the guidelines set forth by the camping area. It is very difficult to find a ATVer that is not an all around outdoorsman. Which typically translates to the same respect for nature.

To dispute your comment "This last comment rebuts one of the pro points of ATV enthusiasts, that expanded ATV opportunities will be good for business." ATV sales are better than ever and people of all ages and walks of life are finding that an ATV is a wonderful way to see and experience the outdoors. West Virginia has recently opened a very large system of trails for ATVs. To date this has been a very successful venture. There are countless people that arrive all through the week to take advantage of this trail system. Many of those that choose to stay overnight which requires a hotel or motel room. Another benefit of West Virginias Hatfield McCoy Trail is that there is now a legal riding area for those that might other wise decide to disregard the law and ride on property that that they should not be on. This would hopefully cure your fear of being harmed by a careless rider in an area that they do not belong.

"On the subject of money. I would like to know who is expected to pay for establishment, maintenance, and patrolling of ATV trails. I bet it wont be ATV users!". Mr. Shields you seem to be a thoughtful good minded person. You do not research you facts though. In October of 2001 it became mandatory for all ATVs not being solely used for business or farming to be registered and insured. The money accumulated from the state wide registration program is being used to purchase riding areas and equipment or services to maintain or develop theses areas. In other words Mr. Shields if you choose not to ride an ATV then your hard earned dollars are not being used to accommodate my choice of outdoor activities. Here is a web address to see where ATVers dollars are being used and how they are being used.

http://www.cpatva.org/grants02.html

You can copy and paste this link.

You say it is "odd that the rights of ATVers are being backed by Democrats who otherwise have been exceptionally good friends of sportsman. I am somewhat confused by this statement. An extremely high percentage of ATVers are those sportsman to whom you are referring.

As an organized group Mr.Shields we do write our Representatives on a regular basis. The difference between you and I is that I am fighting to open our lands and you are fighting to close them. I would request that you spend an evening surfing the net looking at the large number of "Green Groups" that are fighting to completely close our lands from everyone. You may laugh at that statement but there are many sites that try to organize for the hope of banning everything from horses to bicycles to 1 single person tracking across the landscape destroying the plantlife beneath their feet.

There will always be those that have no regard or respect in whatever they do, whether it is an ATVer or Fisherman.

Old 03-29-2002, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well put,

I am glad to see that our community (here in the forum) is actually standing up and speaking. I hope that all of us will be able to join together, if in PA or not, and make one voice.

AGAIN i say,

Nicely done.

Jonathan