Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Smokin' Belt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2000, 08:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was riding this weekend in the mud when one of the Honda riders got stuck (I was so proud to be able to pull him out). In the process of pulling him out I sunk in the mud to the point where I was sitting on the skid plate on my new 00 SP500. At this point he was out, but I was stuck. I was in low range, with the AWD engaged. I tried to get out without help, but all I managed to do was get smoke off of the belt. (here's the point where I lost my pride) I had to have the same Honda pull me out.

Later in the ride we hit a hill that was severely rutted. I was again following the honda (98 foreman 4x4) he made it to the top, but when I crested the hill, I hung on the skid plate. Again, as I was in AWD AND in low range, I assumed that the front wheels would pull me on over the crest, all I managed to do was smoke the belt some more.

Now to the question.....is this normal? The machine is 3 weeks old (bought 2-15-00) has 105 miles on it and only 13 hours. Should I change the belt? Will it continue to do this if I don't change it? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2000, 09:21 AM
Range Rover

I dont no bout the smokin belt but it seems to me your riding it pretty hard to be 13 hours old.

Old 03-06-2000, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your problems are very uncommon,especially due to the fact you were in low gear.I learned very early to use low range when doing ANY towing, hill climbing or slow speed rough terrain.I have pulled out a Astro van stuck in a ditch before and did'nt come clost to smoking my belt.I have pulled out a number of other quads,all without slipping the belt.My guess is there certainly is something wrong.Get the quad back to the dealership,inform them of how easy it is to get the belt smoking.Tell them your friend George has the same kind of quad,rides the same terrain,and he never has smoke coming from his belt.The reason for this fabricated story is I worry that the dealer will tell you this is normal.Im here to tell you it is not.If you used high range instead of low,than it is very easy to smoke a belt.That is not the case here.====Best of luck====BILL

Old 03-06-2000, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

You should get it cheaked out I never smoked my belt once and I pulled some heavy stuff.A part of the bike your towing should break off before the belt smokes.