Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

question on scrambler chain

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 12:48 PM
DRF
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2001 scrambler 500 2-wheel drive and for some reason the chain wants to stick to the rear cog when coming over the top. If the chain gets a little dry it sounds like something is going to fly apart. I mean a really bad clicking sound. Does anybody know why?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 08-08-2002, 08:24 PM
Range Rover

I had the same problem on a 99 model. I flipped the chain over to run in the opposite direction. I started using Maxima Chain Guard and oiled it every ride. No more problem.

Ronnie

Old 08-08-2002, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

hey,
i had the same exact problem with my 02 trailboss. i didnt oil the chain very much, and soon i heard a loud clicking noise. as it was it was still under warranty, the dealor took it back and found out that one of the teath on the drive sprocket had bent because i didn't oil the chain enought and it got really hot from friction and bent it. they replaced it and it has been running great ever since.

Old 08-09-2002, 12:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a clicking sound on my '02 scrambler 500 4x4. I havent greases the chain once and I have had it for about a month now (only riding on the weekends). I have done a little bit of mud whole riding, crossing rivers, etc... so there is a good chance some of the grease on the chain has been washed away... I sure hope I dont have a bent tooth on one of the sprockets! My warranty runs up this month... is there anyway to tell if this clicking I hear is from the sprocket being bent? My dealer is aout 4 hours away... I would prefer to not haul my quad over there, but if I have to.. I will. I hope i didnt ruin anything already!!!

Old 08-09-2002, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

what are you guys thinking??? you MUST lube these chains up religiously!!
if you dont you will wear out your sprockets and chain very quickly! The sticking that you mention might be caused from excessive wear on the rear sprocket. As the sprocket wears, the space where the chain roller makes contact with the sprocket widens. This in turn causes the actual teeth on the sprocket to get pointy and in some cases hooked if the wear gets real bad. The same will happen to the front if left go. The stock chain, if taken care of will still only last about a year or so(depending on what kind of stuff you ride through) and if you're going to get a new chain then you may as well get new sprockets (front and back) too. No sense not doing both because you will just wear out the new chain on bad sprockets. Ideally, you should have 2 chains. One to use, the other soaking in gear oil of your choice for your next use. Alternate them and keep one soaking at all times. When you need a chain, just take it out and let it hang and drain for about an hour and then put it on you bike. Take it for a spin to heat up the chain and then spray it with a good spray lube like a chain wax or what ever brand you like just make sure it is a dry type lube so it doesnt attract dirt and will seal the oil into the chain. May sound like a alot of effort but hey, if ya got the money to throw away on chains and sprockets, you wouldnt have read this far. One tip if you're going to do this, when replacing the chain, hook the open end of the new chain onto the open end of the master link of the chain you're removing and pull it through the bottom chain guard starting at the top and pulling around the front sprocket first. Goes on in no time. If this is too much for you to handle, at least oil the darn thing!!!

Old 08-10-2002, 11:34 AM
DRF
Weekend Warrior

This problem started just a couple of months after I got the four-wheeler. I do oil the chain before every ride and always have, I even tried different tensions on the chain. I have never seen this kind of problem on any other four-wheeler at least not this bad. I believe this is a polaris problem. I'll flip it over and see how that does before I replace everything.