Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

NEED HELP WITH EXPRESS BELT OR TRANNY A.S.A.P

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 02:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my express 300 yeasturday, when i was riding, the tranny or the belt seemed like it was slipping under acceleration, then it would wind up really high,(like the engine would rev like it was in neutral, but i would be movin,. like the engine REV and the speed i was goin werent synchronized if u would call it that) then when i let off the gas it would kinda jerk, then it was fine... now, it will do this no matter what., could it be blown up?
then we kept riding, then it did it again, but this time, the tranny or what ever wouldnt "catch" when u let off,but it had all the power 2 make it up hills or whatever, but i couldnt go any faster then like 15 to 20 MPH> which is creeping along when ur riding with a DS650..
so today i took it apart, and the belt was really loose. and im not sure if its supposed 2 be?
what else could it be,,,
and guys i hate 2 use the term POOPLARIS, but i hope it aint true. its broke one the last 2 rides.
what do u guys think, i need help soon. thanks.

Old 09-02-2002, 06:59 AM
Range Rover

I am thinking you should look at the secondary clutch. I'll bet that it is stuck. Once you have the belt off, you want to remove the clutch on your right. I believe the size is a 1/2". Once you have it off, the two big surfaces(sheaves) that grab the belt should be able to turn away from each other with some tension.

Old 09-02-2002, 02:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

so the "front" one should be able 2 spin opposites? so u dont think its just the belt?
the sheaves- are the inside of the clutch? the shiny parts? how would i "unstick" the clutch?
and what if there isnt any tension? what does that mean?
thanks 4 ur help [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-03-2002, 09:05 AM
Range Rover

The secondary clutch is what actually shifts you from low speed to high speed. To do this the belt gets pulled into the clutch, forcing it to open. The spring is their to return it back to low gear when you let off the gas. Inside the clutch is a "helix" which controls when to shift. It does this by feeling the load from either the wheels or the engine. More load from the wheels, it downshifts. More load from the engine, it upshifts. The helix "ramps" ride on three buttons. These buttons can wear causing the helix to wedge itself into the center of the button.

When this happens, it would feel like you are in a standard shift automobile, driving around in first gear.

Old 09-03-2002, 10:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

yep, im afraid thats basically what it feels like its not shifting, so whats that mean? the clutch is shot? great! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
so what one is the secondary clutch? is that the front one?> or the rear one?
hey ELROY, thanks man u have been a good help. i didnt wanna pay the high cost at a stealership, for them 2 see whats wrong... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-03-2002, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

Actually this is an easy fix. Cost you about $6. You need a new set of buttons(3).

Like I said before, you are going to have to remove the secondary clutch. It's the one attached to the tranny. It's held on by a 1/2" bolt. Once you have it off, lay it face down(so that the round part is down). Hold the lower sheave with your right hand. Grab the upper sheave with your left hand and pull. This will unstick it. Again pull the sheaves apart. push down on the helix(the piece in the center facing up) while still holding the sheaves with your other hand. Take your snap ring pliers and remove the snap ring holding down the helix. Once it is off, slowly release the sheaves. Pull out the helix, the spring, and their you'll see your buttons. You'll need a torx bit to get the bolts out.

When you go to put it back together, just reverse this process making sure to align your spring in the 2-2 setting. The only thing that you MUST do is pre-wind your spring. Before you go to push your helix back in, you must first pre-wind the spring 1/3 turn, then push the helix down. Then put the snap ring on while holding the sheaves with your other hand.(Remember holding the tension while taking off the snap ring)

Anything else?

Old 09-06-2002, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

k,i took off the secondary 2day, well, 1st its REALLLY dirty, looks like it has eaten a few belts. belt dust EVERYWHERE. so im gonna clean it at work 2day. i see the buttons.. O yea they are worn, so im hopin these are the prob. the helix looks warn also. so if u change these buttons where can i get em? and will this fix the prob ya think? will i still need a new belt? where can i get these buttons? i could either go 2 dennis kirk, or my highschool is like 3 miles away from Hot seat performance. think i should go there??
thanks again sorry it took so long 2 reply. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]