Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hair Dryer

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This one still required two people, but it might give a laugh. It also includes a pinto (MY bright orange '80). The car sit for years and the fuel tank was surely rusty and the pump looked odd. My friend Eric and I decided that gravity feed works great on motorcycles so why not a car. We made a makeshift gas can with a hook to hang it on the hood. A line was then ran directly to the carb. It worked great until we accidentally got some gas on the plug wires. Well, they were old and were crossfiring, so when he spun the engine over it lighted the gas. Eric jumped out of the car to help me extinguish the flames. We were about 300 yards from the nearest water source and right against a machine shed. The shed had about $150,000 worth of equipment in it. I was bent over the front, trying to blow the flames out (yeah, I know not to blow on a gas fire, but all I could think about was the chewing I was going to get if the shed went up). Eric took his shirt off and tried beating the flames with it. While I am still bent over blowing on the flames not paying atttention to what he is about to do, he gets the bright idea to pull the gas line off the carb. Well, gas ran from the bottle all over the fire. You would be amazed at the flames that come from the gas flowing from a 1/2 gallon bottle through a 3/8 line! It took a couple of months to grow my eyebrows and hairline back.

As I think about it, I am probably about out of lives. Reminds me of the time Eric and I fired up an old ford 4X4 that hadn't ran for about 9 years. It was running decent, so we took off down the road (I live out in the country, not a house in sight). A couple of miles later, we see huge blue flames come from the cowl which quickly died down, but it still was running fine. We turned around to head back towards home. The time was about 11:30 at night. The steering on this truck was second to none. A complete revolution of the wheel was needed before the front tires would turn. We passed my house and got to the top of the hill 1/4 mile from it. I seems we used more gas than we thought we would, and the ol' ford came to a stop. No reverse lights, no stop lights, no dash lights, no interior lights, but 1 headlight was good. Since I couldn't see where I was going due to the lack of lighting. Eric was nominated to sit on the tool box in the back and tell me whether I needed to go right or left. Plan sounded good. Without the engine running, we had VERY little brakes--didn't think of this until we were about 50' down this steep hill. This is also the point where the truck violently decided to go left. Eric started yelling directions while I was whipping the wheel right and left and hitting both ditches. I hit the brake only to feel the pedal hit the floor. As I would straighten the truck up, the wore out steering would make it go sideways again. Eric finally dove down in the bed because he was scared of falling over the side since he was sliding from one end of the tool box to the other numerous times. I couldn't hold it between the ditches anymore. We slammed into an embankment. After catching our breathes, I gave the engine a whirl and found that the shaking of the truck allowed a little gas into the carb. It fired up and we drove back home.

And then there was the time that my 4 speed '68 with about 200,000 decided to blow the condesor and points. I walked home at 2:30 in the morning and woke up my 15 year old sister to drive it home while I pulled it with my three year old F-350 diesel. We were fine until we started down the hill to my house. I noticed she was gaining on me really fast. I sped up to keep the slack out of the chain so she wouldn't run over it. We were going WAY to fast to turn in the drive as we passed my house. I looked down as my driveway flashed by, and saw the speedo reading 60MPH! Luckily, we started up another hill. I pulled over to the right as we came to a stop. I got out yelling. She started yelling back that the brakes went out. I told here the brakes were fine and that they weren't power brakes, so the engine not running wouldn't affect it. I approached the truck as she opened the door. She said, "See, the pedal goes to the floor". She had driven sticks before, I guess it was the fact that she was blonde, and I woke her up, but she was pumping the CLUTCH! Man was I mad. Could have totalled both of my trucks.

I have too many more like these, but I'll save some for another day.

Old 10-07-2002, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

thank god..thats a lot of readin'

Old 10-08-2002, 05:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

AlkyX you just got me in trouble, I woke up the neighbors LMFAO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It sounds to me like you need to move.

Old 10-08-2002, 11:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Alky,

LMFAO!!! I too have lots of memories like these! Its kind of a relief that their are ather people in the world and "lucky" as I am to be alive.LOL! Oh, and this one time at BAnd Camp........

Biggerisbetter.

Old 10-09-2002, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hair Dryer

LMFAO AlkyX!