Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping

I have a 1995 magnum and all of a sudden the belt seemed to slip a little. So I bought a new one and the results are the same. Does this mean that my spring is weak or is my clutch bad.I ran it without the cover on and the clutch seems to be working. It also seemed like maybe the motor was moving a little bit toward the tranny. Is there any adjustment there.

Old 10-30-2002, 09:01 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slipping

Did you clean out the dust real good?I so check the secondary clutch.With the belt off you should be able to move the front and back halves of the back shive.Thios could be froze up or locked up.

Old 10-30-2002, 09:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Slipping

The motor and trans will come together. You can fix that by replacing the motor mounts with heavy duty ones. Your springs could be weak. You can check to see if the clutches are shifting all the way and that they are alligned by taking a black perminent marker and put a line from the center to the top on all the sheeves. Keep the cover off than drive it all the way through the shift.Stop and see if the lines came off all the way up and on both sets of sheeves. If the line is still there then you will either have to allign the clutch or replace the springs and also check the buttons in the secondary clutch.They could be worn also.Be careful the secondary can be tricky if you have not had it apart before.

Old 10-30-2002, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Slipping

I am new to this type of four wheeler so bear with me. Yes I cleaned the dust. If the secondary clutch is the one in the rear it does piviot back and forth.Now what. I had the bike for 16 hours before it got stolen from my truck and i got it back after two weeks with a few problems.

Old 10-30-2002, 09:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Slipping

Since it is 7 yrs old the buttons could be worn.How easy do the secondary sheeves move.It should be difficult but still move.

Old 10-30-2002, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Slipping

You lost me. What buttons are you refering to. And when I take the belt cover off there is a pulley on the left and one onthe right. Which one are we talking about?

Old 10-30-2002, 09:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Slipping

Ok the set on the right is the secondary clutch.Inside that is a spring, shiftdrum and 3 buttons screwed to one of the clutch sheeves and the buttons ride on the shift drum.These buttons wear with time and wear even quicker if you mud or climb with it.You need to pay very special attention how this comes apart because the spring on the inside needs to be prewound before the two halves go back together.It is not tricky if you have done it before but if you have never taken it apart 9 times out of 10, people dont get it together right.

Old 10-30-2002, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Slipping

to answer your questions on which clutch. the pulleys you are reffering to are the front pulley (primary or drive clutch) rear pulley (secondary or driven clutch). both clutches have buttons in them but the secondary buttons tend to break if you have the stock plastic ones. you won't be able to see them without disassembling the halves. if you take it apart you'll need a pair of snapring pliers, the buttons are inside. there are holes in the helix and the out board half that the ends of the spring go into, you will see what i mean when apart (you might want to note the holes that the spring is in before letting it spring totally apart). putting it back together is a different story. you can do it with the pair of pliers but you must preload the clutch before completely pushing the assy. together. it's hard to explain on how to preload it, maybe someone else can explain it better. if anyone has a better way to any of this please post it. hope this helps.
steve

Old 10-30-2002, 09:59 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slipping

One more thing to check before taking the clutches apart is the air intake for the PVT system If it is covered (like with a saddle bag)or has mud in it this will cause it to run like Sh.. and the belt to slip.Remember ......check all the easy stuff first then.... PANIC [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Dont worry these Polaris s arent as complicated as it sounds.But you do need to buy a service manual.