Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Jumped ship-thanks for all the help Polaris guys!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumped ship-thanks for all the help Polaris guys!

Predator03,

Well the one I was on was a pre production model. I saw it July 19th, 2002 at the Rocky Gap trailhead in the ANF. I didn't look really close at it to see if it had the pre requisite million grease fittings to mark it as a Polaris. I already knew it was a Polaris because of the 10" rear wheels. No body but the Big "P" would do that.

I just kind of wanted to get back to basics on a quad. Nothing fancy, just a nice little sport machine. I started with an '84 200ES Big Red and now I'm back to that brand. If I would have wanted power (and the hassle of maintaining it) I would have kept my Sport and not bothered buying a new machine. Besides, I couldn't pass up the deal ($1000 off retail on the Honda). I seriously doubt if a Polaris dealer would have given me the same deal on a Predator. That is assuming they would have had one on December 2nd for me to buy.

Not to mention that the aftermarket companies did have the one thing I did want on a sport machine (a bigger gas tank) readily availible for the 400EX. This also brings about a question that has been gnawing on me for some time. Why was it that the KFX/Z 400 wasn't even out in dealerships and they has all sorts of whiz bang accessories for it. Has any one seen anything other than a slip on muffler from White Brothers for the Predator? Heck the KFX 700 isn't even scheduled to be released until March and they already have all the bells and whistles for it in advertisements.

Old 01-08-2003, 01:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,Mike. You cant use the gas tank as an excuse considering that sport you had would hold almost 5 gallons. I really dont see myself doing lots of maintenence. Either that or it has just become second nature. I do like the 400ex. It is simple,light and reliable. It's just that it's a Honda[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Bubba

Old 01-08-2003, 01:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Oh,,,,I thought you meant 'jumped the fence',,,,,,,,,pphhhhewwww!!!

Old 01-08-2003, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

I think I remember only eight grease fittings on the Predator. Plus, I rode 60 hard fast miles on it and still had some left in the reserve. I still say you would have been like one of us people freakin over this machine, and luvin evey minute of it.

Scott

Old 01-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Bubba,

The problem with my Sport wasn't so much gas tank capacity as much as gas milage. The 4 gallon tank was had very little gas in it after a fast ride of 40 miles or so. That 39mm Keihin really sucked down the gas in a hurry. A couple of times I did have to switch to reserve when it ran out and barely made it back to the truck.

Predator03,

The Predator is still #1 in my book of Sport quads despite what the ragazines will say about it. I just didn't need to spend all of that money right now. I may eventually trade up to one in the future, but as a rule I never buy a first year model anything (car, truck, ATV etc.).

I will say this, I do miss the cold blooded Polaris engines. They would fire right up no matter what the weather or temperature. That's reliability!

Old 01-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer

To say that a honda doesn't need maintenance is a crock. They still get dirty and need washing, they still have oil that needs changing, they still have air filters needing maintenance, spark plugs that need changing, they still have tires needing replacement, etc. etc.

Too many jap buyers seem to think that they are riding some thing with some thing other than a combustion engine...

Old 01-08-2003, 05:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry Mike, just jiggling your chain a little bit. At least you still have a Trailblazer LOL Bubba

Old 01-09-2003, 08:03 AM
Pro Rider

Bubba,

As much as I'd like to replace it (the Trailblazer) there just isn't anything else out there that compares to it. Celeste needs an automatic transmission because of a car crash she was in several years ago. She can't move her left foot up to shift gears, so she is stuck with having to use an automatic. Now if Suzuki came out with an automatic Ozark I might switch, but things like that don't happen to small, entry level machines, only to the larger ones. More than anything I'm looking for ease of maintenance and light weight. The less my Bronco has to tow, the better.