Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ATV for me and my boy

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV for me and my boy

I am getting ready to buy ATV's for me and my 9 year old son. We both have experience riding a Polaris 400 Sportsman on the ranch, trails, hunting etc.

I'm leaning to getting the 500 H.O. Sportsman and getting the Sportsman 90 for my son. We will be riding them on public and private trails around Texas and in the New Mexico mountains.

Couple of questions..... Do you experienced riders and dads/moms think the Sportsman 90 is a good choice for my son? Is the Sportsman 500 H.O a good choice for me?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Old 01-12-2003, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

I can only speak for myself and since I have purchased my 2000, 500 I have rode several of my friends atv's that were other brands and It's by far a better riding atv hands down. I have rode a new 700 and it's awsome but I'll stick with my 500. I haven't found a hill yet it won't pull and it still makes you feel safe, I'd give it a AAA+ rating, of course I'm a little biased

Old 01-13-2003, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

I hear the Sportsman 90s are pretty good. My little cousin just got one a couple months ago. No probs yet. He flipped it first time out...he and the quad turned out 100% okay. I guess you just gotta learn the hard way sometimes...lol.

Old 01-13-2003, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scooksey, I have a 2001 500 HO and my son has a 2002 SP 2002. He is 8. Was 7 when we bought it. He loves it. He wants to "mod" it like "dad" did. He rides it either all or no throttle (kinda scary). When he gets maybe 10 we will get him a bigger one and hand this one down to his little brother. We have not had any thing go wrong, except that it does not like cold weather to start in (a little ether fixes this). We ride trails in southern Oklahoma together.

Old 01-13-2003, 06:12 AM
Trailblazer

Scooksev,

depending on how much you are willing to spend I would go with either the 700 or the 500 HO. I have a 2000 500 Sportsman and love it. I have yet to have any problems with it. and I can stay up with the other. Yes I know that the Parie 650 will out run me but for what I use mine for and and the comfrot of this Bike you can't beat it.

As for the 90 it is a great bike as well. I have a sportsman 90 that my daughter rides and she loves it. Like Okie said the only thing is it DONT like the cold. Only problem that I have had with it was the Battery, But that is from the kids leaving the Key on.

Critter

Old 01-14-2003, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the information!!!!!!!!! I appreciate it. Will make my buying decision much easier having heard from all of you.

Old 01-14-2003, 11:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

How old is your son? My boy just turned 11 and weighs over a 100 lbs and I wouldnt think of wasting my money on a mini quad only to sell it in a year or two because hes too big for it. I would buy him a Trailblazer if hes big enough....that way he can grow into it and not out grow the size. He probably will outgrow the power though..lol.

Old 01-14-2003, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

My son is 9 years old and about 75lbs.... I thought about a bigger ATV, but want to be sure it's one he can control to start out with. He rides a 400 now, but on flat land. I want one he can ride in the mountains, trails, etc. I was afraid the larger one is simply to heavy for him to handle/manuever.

Old 01-14-2003, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a 500 HO is a good choice for just about anyone. If you liked your 400 you will like the 500 HO. I don't own one but quite a few of my friends do. From everything I have read, I do think the best little ATV is the Honda. Just from what I have read, I don't really have any experience with any of them. If I was going to buy an HO I would probably buy that little look-a-like just because it looks like the HO.

Old 01-14-2003, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

I would highly suggest NOT getting your son the almost 500lb Trailblazer. It is much better for him to be in control of the ATV rather than it be in control of him. The resale on the 90cc ATV's are pretty good but even it they weren't, YOUR CHILDS SAFETY IS WORTH IT! Its not a waste of money.