Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

picking up trash & trespassing...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2000, 04:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the time I'm out riding I carry a bag on my Polaris for the purpose of picking up aluminum cans.I got "caught" riding on some timber land that had been leased to hunters.(offseason)The guy was IMPRESSED that I had a bag of cans I had picked up.....Said he couldn't believe it!He also said he wouldn't mind me riding there as long as it wasn't deer or turkey season.... Just thought I'd share this experiance.

Old 04-10-2000, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

RdrD:
Nice to see there are fellow atvers out there who actually do pick up trash along the way. Bill Ciliberti (sp?) has a post "Are we in trouble", with a couple reply's relating to this nature. TxDoc2 and myself have both had problems with trespassing, and litter as well. I was out on sunday, up on top of a ridge line, way out in the middle of nowhere, and found a ton of trash. Only had 2 plastic bags with me, so they were filled real quick. I must be honest, when I go out riding, it isn't my soul purpose to pick up trash, yet if I happen to see it, I'll stop along the way to pick it up. I was curious though, how difficult it would be to organize a type of atv outting for picking up trash. Something like going to your favorite riding area with a bunch of fellow atvers, having a bar-b-que or something, and riding around, picking up trash for a day. I think with enough people getting together, and a nice area, it could actually be a fun day with friends and atv's. Not to mention, it would shock the hell out of the tree huggers, seeing us "cleaning up" the area's we ride in. Heck, it might even shut them up for a while!

Anyway, nice post.

Mike

Old 04-11-2000, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

most atv,s are able to pull a trailer, it makes it alot faster and easier to pick up trash and you can cover alot more ground with less stopping, Plus if you get enough cans it is worth recycling and putting the money back in your clubs petty cash fund for use latter.

Old 04-11-2000, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Now if you had also put in that you were 16yrs old I'd REALLY be impressed! Either way your doing good.
I've been looking at trailers (for my atv) for this same purpose. My only concern is I'd have to pay the dump a fee to dispose of what I collected.

Old 04-12-2000, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

Ya i wish i was 16 again,i am only 29 check out northern tool and equipment not bad priceing on there trailers .

Old 04-12-2000, 03:44 AM
Pro Rider

Heck, I'm only 24, yet after being busted up so many times, feel like I'm 50! Speaking of Northern Tool, they've got pretty decent pricing on quite a few items in their catalog. I've ordered a couple things from them now, and the service is great, usually get it in 2-3 days.

Mike

Old 04-16-2000, 09:53 AM
Trailblazer

Another good place to buy trailers is harbor freight on line. I think they had one for only $69.95 with tilt and removable tail gate.

Old 04-16-2000, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

Getting back to good 'ol trash, I live in Northwestern Ontario, and do a lot of portaging to adjacent lakes from the lake I live on. I find piles of cans and trash, 100 feet from where somebody had parked their boat. It is such an element of stupidity and carelessness. I like to hear that others are cleaning up after some slob. I too have ridden off the trail and found where somebody with a truck found a spot to dump a whole truck load of junk, mattresses, stoves and fridges. These people just don't care, drop it somewhere else, maybe somewhere off the beaten path, well guess where us quad riders go? God forbid we'll pay to have someone take our trash. Some people just don't care....pity.