Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

reverse overide

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse overide

Gentlemen:
What is the best way to disable the reverse limiter on my 2002 Sportsman 500HO. Can it be unplugged somewhere? Thanks.

Old 02-06-2003, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default reverse overide

I would like to know to, because I have a hard time holding the button and putting on the break with short fingers(amputated)

Old 02-06-2003, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default reverse overide

I'm sure it's basically the same as my 95 Scrambler. I tracked the wire that goes from the switch and just unpluged it. Works great, I hated it cause I plow with my Scram, and it was always a pain in da bum to have to hit it all the time.

Old 02-06-2003, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default reverse overide

This is how I did it on my 2000 Scrambler 500

Ok here we go this is for the Scramblers open up the front nose piece there you will find a rectangle rubber female spade connector there is 2 of them the one you want is the one with the grey wire with and orange stripe unplug that wire from the connector (REVERSE OVERRIDE IS NOW GONE) Now to get it so the 4x4 works is a little more difficult but it is easy look at your reverse override button the wires you want are the grey wire with a white stripe and a red wire with a white stripe see where they come down in the nose piece take a little bit of the insulation off of each one now take a wire and splice it between both wires tape them up good TADA you now have 4x4 and no revlimiter when in reverse without having to push in the button VERY HANDY Your reverse light and the AWD still work like normal too

Old 02-06-2003, 07:05 PM
Range Rover
Default reverse overide

This was copied from my June 24th posting on the '01 HO ovverride procedure:

The bypass operation involves cutting one wire and installing one jumper (tying two wires together):

1.Disconnect (cut) the “19 PUR” wire going to the Left Handlebar Switch Assembly “C” terminal. Be sure to properly tape and secure the loose ends. Cutting this wire will remove the engine limiter signal, and prevent the Reverse light from coming on as a result of step 2.

2.Jumper the R/W wire to the GRY/W wire. This can be done either at the 1) Left Handlebar Switch connector (terminals “F” and ‘B”), 2) the rear transmission switch connector (terminals “A” and “C”) or 3) at the "“splice blocks". Tying the two wires together at any one of these locations will give the same results. (Another place to tie the wires together is in the "Wire Rap" located above the clutch cover.) Be careful not to cut the R/W wire because this is the switched “hot” wire from the Key switch. And remember your AWD will depend on this connection.

For drivers not familiar with the circuit details, the system uses two transmission switches to perform the following functions:

1.Turn on the Neutral light,
2.Turn on the Reverse light,
3.Send a engine limiter signal to the engine control circuit while in reverse (through the 3-pole Override Switch),
4.Engage the front hubs when in High and Low range.

After the "operation", the Neutral and Reverse light will work normally, but the transmission switches and the Override Switch will not be functional with regard to engaging the front hubs (4X4); the 4X4 will be engaged anytime the AWD switch is on.

Expect the AWD light to be on any time the AWD switch is on, even in Neutral.

This information was derived from the wiring diagram of a 2001 HO –it may not apply to all models. I recommend you confirm these details using your own diagram before proceeding.

One advantage of doing the bypass this way (as opposed to installing a separate bypass switch) is that it can be reversed at any time without leaving any noticeable scares.

Good luck.

Old 02-06-2003, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default reverse overide

From William Bashlor we have this method of bypassing the switch. Find the purple wire and the gray w/white stripe wire that comes from the override switch. Cut these two wires and connect them together so the switch is eliminated from the circuit. That’s it. This simple method, will however, leave the reverse indicator light lit up continually in both forward and reverse gears.

The method Jack Schulz employs is a little more complicated but allows the indicator lights to work as they were originally intended. Disconnect or cut the gray/orange wire coming from the speedo and you eliminate the reverse rev limiter. Find the purple wire and the gray w/white stripe wire coming from the switch (yellow button). Instead of cutting them, patch a 12v 20amp (minimum) diode between them with the power able to flow in the direction of the gray/white wire. This allows the reverse circuit to power the AWD while in reverse and does not allow the AWD circuit to power the reverse indicator light when not in reverse. This method leaves the yellow button hooked up so it has the advantage of allowing you to use it as it was originally intended in the unlikely event that the diode would burn out.

The method I use is a combination of these two, for two reasons. First, I want my reverse indicator light to function properly because that’s where I’ve connected the hot lead for my auxiliary back-up light. That way when I shift into reverse both the reverse indicator light and the back-up lights come on. Second, I wanted to isolate the yellow button from everything else so I could use it for a horn button. So I cut the gray/orange wire coming from the speedo to disable the rev limiter. Then I cut the purple wire and the gray w/white stripe wire coming from the switch (yellow button) to isolate it. Between the purple and the gray w/white stripe wires I installed the diode, with power able to travel in the direction of the gray/white wire. That completes the reverse rev limiter override, and now that it’s isolated, the yellow button can act as a momentary “on” switch for whatever you want to hook up to it. To hook up a horn simply patch a wire from a switched power source (like the cig lighter) to one of the cut yellow button wires (install an inline fuse if you wish). Then run a wire from the other cut yellow button wire to the positive terminal on the horn, and another wire from the negative terminal on the horn to a ground. Beep Beep!

Old 02-07-2003, 07:37 PM
Range Rover
Default reverse overide

500DUSE,

Any reason why you wouldn't use the technique I've described above?

Two simple steps - no diode. You can use the yellow button for something else!

Older machines can be bypassed from the terminal board under the front cover without cutting any wires.

Ebel

Old 02-07-2003, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default reverse overide

ebel
Absolutely Not.
Just passing on what was passed on to me.
No offense intended